Saltwater Fish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never saltwater fished. :( I've always wanted to go flyfishing for bonefish on the flats in Florida. I live pretty far from any kind of saltwater though.

You live out in Calgary and you don't fish trout in all those fantastic streams and rivers out west? I'd do that before saltwater fishing. :D

Edit: Unless you're talking about fish tanks and stuff. I'm half in the bag though so you'll have to excuse me for misunderstanding if that's the case. :drunk:

I dont know if you mean fish keeping or fishing?

I love any kind of fishing, salt espescially. I know of a guy that does those Bonefish fly fishing charters in the Flats south of Florida. His thing is he uses an airboat to get you out there and you pretty much spot fish.

Virtuous said:
I dont know if you mean fish keeping or fishing?

I love any kind of fishing, salt espescially. I know of a guy that does those Bonefish fly fishing charters in the Flats south of Florida. His thing is he uses an airboat to get you out there and you pretty much spot fish.
From what I understand you pretty much have to sight fish them. Stupid thing is I have an aunt and uncle who live in the keys and I don't go down there. :drunk:

I am very much....salmon and halibut!
Cheers:mug:

2000 26' Hewescraft AlaskanSearunner
"Heavy Metal"
Twin Yamaha 100Hp 4-Stroke
Fish on!!!!

I used to keep saltwater fish. I got out of it once I got married. I had a really nice black lion fish that I would keep fed with grass shrimp from my dock. He would eat so many that his gut would stretch out until you could actually see the shrimp through the walls of his stomach. I kept him in a tank with a snowflake moray eel. When I sold him, he was about the size of a basketball. In my other tank I had a powder blue tang, a sail fin angel, a fire angel, and a couple various small grammas and blennys. It was a fun hobby but, when I moved to the new house it was just to much of a pain to take it all with me. the only tank that I keep now is a 100 gal freshwater that has several African Cichlids in it.

I looked around to see If I had any photos of my tanks but I couldn't find them. Do you have any pics of yours?

I want another one so bad, but I'd have to cut out other things. maybe later on down the road when I have no CC debt.

I used to have a 90 gal FOWLR but took it down when it got some crazy disease. We moveed shortly after that and i havent had it set up in about two and a half years now. I am planning on setting it up once I finish my basement. I plan on actually building it into (like a picture frame) behind my bar so that should look amazing.

prosnowsk8er---- what kind of setup do you have?

krispy d said:
I just kill em! Gotta love New England for saltwater fishing. stipers, blues, rockfish, cod, false abies, bonitos...

Yup. Krispy, you should go out on the Hel-cat out of Groton. Always a great time.

As for keeping saltwater fish, I have a brackish tank. The upkeep on saltwater and the price of the fish have kept me from going full saltwater.

Ive always had a Cichlid tank, but have never pulled the trigger on a marine tank. Although I could possibly see it happening in the next year or so.

Im not sure if I would want a reef tank, or just stick with two or three nice fish (lion, puffer, and eel maybe.

I have a 55 gallon tank with African Lake Malawi Lion's Coves in it. I hate them, all they do is hide. Very pretty though, when they are hungry and swimming about.

Have not set up the 90 gallon tank yet, but it won't be salt water. I work out of town too much to leave something like that with my husband and kids. We have some other fresh water tanks with 'nice and friendly' fish occupants. Much easier to care for.

Jennifer

image1yx1.jpg

Back