First All Grain Brew Day In The Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Well I made the jump to all grain today. I had done 3 partial boil extract batches in the past but wanted to go all grain because of a better finished product along with more actual involvement in the brew day. So I set out to brew the Sierra Madre kit from Northern Brewer and it went swimmingly. With the help of BeerSmith I was able to hit my temperatures pretty spot of given then temperature outside was about 30 degrees. My mash tun held the temps well and after collecting all of my runnings I checked my preboil gravity and hit it dead on. My buddy who was helping me (who has never brewed before nor does he know the process) was laughing at me because I was so happy about hitting that gravity reading. So after that everything went smooth except for a few minor boil overs (will be getting Fermcap with my next order for sure) and it is now in the fermenter at around 63 degrees. Hope to have a wonderful product in about 6+ weeks.

My only question I do have is I tried to take a gravity reading right after I transferred to the fermenter but there seemed to be a little too much hop sediment still floating around to get a good reading. Anyone have any tips or how long I should wait before I take a post boil reading?

Breck09 said:
Well I made the jump to all grain today. I had done 3 partial boil extract batches in the past but wanted to go all grain because of a better finished product along with more actual involvement in the brew day. So I set out to brew the Sierra Madre kit from Northern Brewer and it went swimmingly. With the help of BeerSmith I was able to hit my temperatures pretty spot of given then temperature outside was about 30 degrees. My mash tun held the temps well and after collecting all of my runnings I checked my preboil gravity and hit it dead on. My buddy who was helping me (who has never brewed before nor does he know the process) was laughing at me because I was so happy about hitting that gravity reading. So after that everything went smooth except for a few minor boil overs (will be getting Fermcap with my next order for sure) and it is now in the fermenter at around 63 degrees. Hope to have a wonderful product in about 6+ weeks.

My only question I do have is I tried to take a gravity reading right after I transferred to the fermenter but there seemed to be a little too much hop sediment still floating around to get a good reading. Anyone have any tips or how long I should wait before I take a post boil reading?

I siphon my wort into the fermentor through a strainer

Are you sanitizing your hydrometer before putting it in the fermenter... I hope so.
Hop material shouldn't skew your hydro readings, so you can take the reading as soon as you cool down the wort.

boo boo said:
Are you sanitizing your hydrometer before putting it in the fermenter... I hope so.
Hop material shouldn't skew your hydro readings, so you can take the reading as soon as you cool down the wort.

I pulled some of the wort with a turkey baster.

Back