First beer is delicious!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBrad

Reaction score
It was an imperial stout recipe from my LHBS, extract + specialty grains. Part of me wanted it to turn out poorly so I could learn a bit more, but it looks like I did everything right so... cheers!:mug:

My near-term goals are to acquire an IC to reduce cooling time (took about 45 minutes and I still pitched the yeast like 5 degrees higher than I should have) then work on my transferring systems.

Funny story/learning experience, I had no idea how to use the racking cane/siphon thing/bottling wand so I practiced a couple times with water. Thinking I was a champ I started pumping the siphon thing in the beer and ended up building so much pressure the hose popped off and beer sprayed all over the ceiling. It was a tremendous mess but it smelled delicious so all was good.

Anyway, I've read a lot of this forum over the last several months, so I give a huge thank you to everybody who posts. This is definitely what I would consider my "homepage" for brewing, not just for the know-how of the experienced brewers, but the shared inexperience with all the new brewers. After reading so many "is my beer ruined" posts, I swore I would never post one myself, but sure enough midway through the first brew I realized I hadn't fully smacked my yeast pack and made a panicky post asking if my beer would ferment ok (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/emergency-help-failed-smack-pack-197348/). Thank you Revvy for letting me know I spacked it ok.

Out of all the preparatory youtube videos I watched before my first brew, one stood out amongst the rest as the reason why I wanted to get into this hobby in the first place. Craig shows such a passion and dedication to his craft that I respected his tutorial videos immediately. But it was his taste test video that cemented in my mind the potential of what I could create. Tasting now this amazing beverage, I am truly humbled by just how amazingly good it is. Even though I hope to one day become a snobby all grain quad-keggerator beer master, I will never forget the sheer disbelief I felt when I tasted this first homebrew, and nobody expresses my current feelings as well as craig at the end of this video (skip to 10:12): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0HR9uiK4s8&p=2A9257341E3DF381&playnext=1&index=14#t=10m13s

Congrats on your first brew, and welcome to the obsession.

A few quick tips if I may:

Pick up a bottling bucket for that wand, and an autosiphon if you don't have one already, it will make things much easier.

Watch Craigtube for his passion, not his brewing process. ;)

Latest posts

Back