My temp is too low, will yeast recover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N7170G

Reaction score
I used Wyeast's 1056 American ale yeast with ferment temps of 68-72 in an IPA. Where I keep my secondary fermenter the temp dropped to 55-60. The primary ferment went well. If I warm it up to the 68-72 again will the fermentation begin again or should I do something else to help stimulate it?

You're fine. In your secondary vessel, there should be no fermentation taking place. Yeast won't die unless frozen, and even then you're only going to lose about 10% per batch according to Chris and Mike White from White Labs.

You're fine. In your secondary vessel, there should be no fermentation taking place. Yeast won't die unless frozen, and even then you're only going to lose about 10% per batch according to Chris and Mike White from White Labs.

Well said- and I personally try to get a cooler secondary (not super easy in like....Aug, but .....)
Colder temps will actually Aid in the benefits of a secondary. It will clear things up! Tannins, yeast still in suspension, etc will fall to the bottom leaving you with clearer, better tasting beer......
If I was you- I would consider putting that thing Back where it got cold....

Thanks, I did notice it is nice and clear so maybe I will just leave it for another week and then bottle like normal.

Back