my first bottle bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
Well I finally got one dangit. Watching tv the other day I heard a loud crash in my beer closet, turned around to look and saw suds coming from under the door. I opened the door to see this mess...
IMG_1418.jpg

I quickly identified from which batch it was and quarantined them in cardboard beer boxes. strange thing is that batch is only been in the bottle about 2 weeks. In fact I just had one about an hour before the bomb and it was under carbed almost flat, I thought it could use at least another week. I always bulk prime. I put the priming solution in first than rack on top of it and place the hose to create a nice whirlpool to mix evenly. My beers always come out nice and uniformly carbed so I don't know whats going on with this batch. :confused:

thanks for the pic :)

Is that after you swept it up? how did it get out there?

here's another look at the carnage. What a mess! I had to pull everything out of there to clean. definitely wouldn't want one of those blowing up in my face...
IMG_1421.jpg

thanks for the pic :)

Is that after you swept it up? how did it get out there?

nope, thats exactly how it landed. it was right up against the door, a few small pieces of glass even flowed under the door with the suds. wanted to snap a couple quick pics for forensic analysis before cleaning up the crime scene

Just had my first one too. German Hefeweizen. I wasn't home when it happened and didn't hear it, so I nearly stepped on it when I walked into the laundry room.

guess I'm lucky I was right there when it happened to clean up before everything got all sticky

I quickly identified from which batch it was and quarantined them in cardboard beer boxes. strange thing is that batch is only been in the bottle about 2 weeks. In fact I just had one about an hour before the bomb and it was under carbed almost flat, I thought it could use at least another week. I always bulk prime. I put the priming solution in first than rack on top of it and place the hose to create a nice whirlpool to mix evenly. My beers always come out nice and uniformly carbed so I don't know whats going on with this batch. :confused:

I'll bet you had an isolated contamination/infection of that bottle....

Maybe the bottles didn't like the bad vibes form hop packaging night. ;)

KIDDING!! I didn't post in your other thread, but I'm with you 100% 'Nuff said.

Yeah, hopefully just a single-bottle infection. Though one undercarbed beer and another that's OVER sort of has me worried about inconsistent priming. Do you stir or swirl your beer at all after or during the siphon into the bottling bucket?

Yeah, hopefully just a single-bottle infection. Though one undercarbed beer and another that's OVER sort of has me worried about inconsistent priming. Do you stir or swirl your beer at all after or during the siphon into the bottling bucket?

yes, I put the priming solution in first than place the hose to create a whirlpool to mix evenly. beer have always been equally carbed without issue. hopefully its just a single bottle infection

Latest posts

Back