Need help....expecting twins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occhionp25

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help on a recipe. In February my wife and I will be expecting twins. I would like to make a 5 gallon batch to bottle and hand out in lieu of cigars. My only thoughts are a double IPA....open to any suggestions, name and recipes.

Shouldn't you be brewing a Belgian Dubbel? ;)

You'll be too exhausted to drink once those babies are born. Welcome to fatherhood. As far as recipes, stick to what you know and are comfortable with brewing. Centennial and Cascade make a terrific combo in any IPA concoction. Check the recipes section of the website under IPA's for recipe ideas.

Potential names:

Two A.M. Feeding
Double Trouble IPA
Zombie Dad
Dirty Diaper
Latch On Ale
Fraternal Twin
Womb Mates
Gemini (hey, they're twins)
Daddy's Little Squirts

Thanks for the suggestions. Belgian dubbel is a great idea. I did forget to mention the twins will not be my first. I'm well aware of the lack of sleep with a child.

Yes, he should be brewing a dubbel. I have 3 kids.. but not twins.. I would make something strong if I were you. :)

I have brewed this one 5 times and its great.

11 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Biscuit (Dingemans) (22.5 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM)
42.52 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 18.2 IBUs
14.17 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 1.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)

Single infusion.. batch sparge.. Mash in was 148f for 90+ min
Boil 90min. Primary 3 weeks & secondary 4 weeks, its my favorite beer so far.

If you want a little more sweetness.. you can add a little more candy syrup toward the ending of fermentation.. I usually throw it in 4-5 days after pitching.

I have twins, now 6. You are going to need a DIPA and a Dubbel. Two years of little sleep was three times as tough.

One major thing that most people don't know. On the double stroller, there's a little cup holder, many people think this is where the kids bottle goes. WRONG. This is where your full bourbon or scotch glass goes. That way, when you pass out, the SWMBO finds it too hard to wake you, so you actually get a night's sleep. Selfishness sometimes equals survival with twins. Don't worry, she will, and deserves, to do it too.

At two years, magic happens. They start playing with each other, they get potty trained, and life is incredibly simplified. Don't quote me, but it actually is easier with twins once they reach that point. All equations have to balance out at some point, right?!

Now, they are my angels, my life, and the bestest of friends. Just do whatever it takes to survive those two years. Alcohol was a huge help for me. Then, the blessings continually flow.

Best of luck. Someday, they'll be your assistant brewers.

My wife and I had twins last September. Our 3rd and 4th kids. My swmbo requested a dubbel be ready immediately post-birth. I obeyed. :)

I have twins, now 6. You are going to need a DIPA and a Dubbel. Two years of little sleep was three times as tough.

One major thing that most people don't know. On the double stroller, there's a little cup holder, many people think this is where the kids bottle goes. WRONG. This is where your full bourbon or scotch glass goes. That way, when you pass out, the SWMBO finds it too hard to wake you, so you actually get a night's sleep. Selfishness sometimes equals survival with twins. Don't worry, she will, and deserves, to do it too.

At two years, magic happens. They start playing with each other, they get potty trained, and life is incredibly simplified. Don't quote me, but it actually is easier with twins once they reach that point. All equations have to balance out at some point, right?!

Now, they are my angels, my life, and the bestest of friends. Just do whatever it takes to survive those two years. Alcohol was a huge help for me. Then, the blessings continually flow.

Best of luck. Someday, they'll be your assistant brewers.

As the father twins, almost 3 years old now, yes it gets better, especially once they start playing with eachother. But that first year is rough, my advice to you is to start drinking heavily:

As for recipes, Pliney the Elder is a fantastic Double IPA, https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Back