What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nukebrewer said:
Dave37's robust porter. Gotta be honest, I'm not well versed on the style but I'll try to give it my best shot. As you can see it's almost jet black with just the barest of garnet highlights. The head is tan and has pretty good retention. I'm getting hints of roast and vanilla in the nose along with some bready, malty aromas maybe even a bit of coffee. The flavors are pretty consistent with the aroma and there is just the slightest note of astringency in the finish. The medium-full body is very nice leaving long lingering flavors on the palate. I like this one a lot and if it is indeed representative of the style, I think I have found a new style that I like.

Another big thanks man. Glad you are enjoying that one. That beer has changed so much in the last 3-3 1/2 months that ive bottled it. It had a great hoppy aroma and flavor when it was first carbed. Now most of that is gone and the malt has dominated the beer lately bringing up that coffee flavor and maybe some of that slight astringency is from that change. It does develop nicely as it warms as well.

Glad i could get you into a new style man. I will definitely be rebrewing this one with maybe some slight changes and send you a few of em. One to drink fresh and one or two to drink later to see how they change over time.

Glad you liked it and thanks for the kind words, again. :D

Cheers.

WATER! me and the lady went to aggieville last night after the kstate game. Needless to say , there were too many liquid marijuana shots and then jack. Not feeling the hurt yet but im trying to beat it before it shows up

I took it pretty easy last night. about 1/2 a bottle of Plum Wine and one bottle of Goosetown. tonight might be a different story though.

I'm on the coffee & wishing I had made some coffee liqueur a few months ago.

Take it easy wasn't in my vocabulary last night. I blacked out shortly after I got home, and woke up this morning to a very pissed off wife and maybe 5% recollection of anything that happened yesterday.

Had some thistle tea, and nursing this pomegranate vitamin fizz thing my wife swears does wonders for hangovers. Seems to be working.

Take it easy wasn't in my vocabulary last night. I blacked out shortly after I got home, and woke up this morning to a very pissed off wife and maybe 5% recollection of anything that happened yesterday.

Had some thistle tea, and nursing this pomegranate vitamin fizz thing my wife swears does wonders for hangovers. Seems to be working.

you're not in too much trouble, I hope.

EmergenC is a wonderful thing. I'm fresh as a daisy today. We'll see if I'm still feeling that way when I hit the trail in 40 minutes and start pushing those toxins out. Knowing there's beer when I get home will help. :D

you're not in too much trouble, I hope.

Not any more. At least, not at the moment. Who knows what other stupid stuff I'll do today. Hah.

EmergenC is a wonderful thing. I'm fresh as a daisy today. We'll see if I'm still feeling that way when I hit the trail in 40 minutes and start pushing those toxins out. Knowing there's beer when I get home will help. :D

I'm feeling much better myself. These are what she has: https://arbonne.com/shop_online/showitem.asp?ProductId=2079. Apparently her old boss sold stuff for Arbonne, and hooked her up with a bunch.

Been slacking hard in this thread. But fingers crossed there should be some leftover zwanze day goodies later tonight from Alewife

More coffee. Got about 30 minutes left in the mash. Also a quick public service announcement. Two pounds of pumpkin puree will bring your mash temp down a lot farther than you think it would. I was aiming for a mash temp of 154 F so I mashed in about 2 degrees higher than the calculation for the grain alone. After mashing and letting everything thermally equalize I was at a mash temp of 150 F. It's going to be a little lighter body than I was shooting for and a bit higher alcohol, but that's OK.

First beer of the day, quite nice!

IMG_0591.jpg

More coffee. Got about 30 minutes left in the mash. Also a quick public service announcement. Two pounds of pumpkin puree will bring your mash temp down a lot farther than you think it would. I was aiming for a mash temp of 154 F so I mashed in about 2 degrees higher than the calculation for the grain alone. After mashing and letting everything thermally equalize I was at a mash temp of 150 F. It's going to be a little lighter body than I was shooting for and a bit higher alcohol, but that's OK.

it doesn't sound like you're complaining too much. hahahaa!!!

more coffee as I get ready to bottle my Calamity Blend. all 9 1/2 gallons of it.

Boxcar Pumpkin Porter by Star Hill. Pretty good since I didn't like a lot of Star Hill's offerings.

nukebrewer said:

Good luck, buddy.

I had something of the same problem myself. My mash temp is usually 152F going up to 153F over the 1 hour mash. This time,that 153F went DOWN to 149F?? First time that ever happened. Got a reallt thick,heavy hot break too.
So I'll get a little less body as well,but a good drinkin beer just the same...gotta get back to the kettle now...

change of plans. opened the conical to find a pellicle starting to form. need the conical next weekend for a Pilsner me & a guy from work are gonna brew. transferred to two carboys & gotta change all the gaskets in my conical.

having a pull of root beer.

change of plans. opened the conical to find a pellicle starting to form. need the conical next weekend for a Pilsner me & a guy from work are gonna brew. transferred to two carboys & gotta change all the gaskets in my conical.

having a pull of root beer.

Quickest 11 gallon bottling day ever! Are you going to let it run it's course or keg and consume?

Cycler's Brewing Ryed Hard. Brought back half a growler I didn't finish at the Alamo Drafthouse last night.

it doesn't sound like you're complaining too much. hahahaa!!!

Only insomuch as it's something I need to address for my process, but as far as how the beer will turn out, not complaining one little bit.

Good luck, buddy.

Thanks. Shouldn't be much of an issue as far as the beer is concerned, as noted above.

The last of my vanilla pumpkin lager from last year as I boil The Drunkin Punkin. It's probably going to clock in in the 9-10% ABV range. We'll see.

CameraZOOM-20130915142517492.jpg

Back