Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
My first batch (true brew Nut brown ale)has been in the bottle about a week, so I chilled a couple and they're pretty good but have kind of harsh alcohol taste. Gonna wait 2 more weeks (in fridge) before I do any serious tasting. This batch as well as the batch I boiled up on Sat (Autumn Amber Ale) began bubbling in the airlock about 6 hours after I sealed the bucket but stopped about 24 hrs later. I'm thinking I may have these issues because my upstairs bathroom temp where I have my fermenter is fluctuating from the mid 60's up to 80 during these hot Georgia summer days. So, I guess I'm concerned about 2 things, the harsh alcohol taste in batch 1 and am puzzled about why my bubbling stops so soon. I know I just need to be patient but it's hard on us new guy's. Appreciate the help.

You are likely fermenting too hot. This will lead to a bunch of little problems including rapid fermentation and the harsh alcohol taste that you are getting.

One of the most important steps in brewing (IMO) is temperature control during fermentation.

Use the search tab on the top of this webpage and type in "swamp cooler". You will get all kinds of ideas on how to regulate temp.

Most ales should be fermented in the mid 60's. That is the temp that your beer should be while fermenting. You will notice that during active fermentation, your beer will be warmer than room (ambient) temp do to all of the internal activity. Often 5 to 8 degrees warmer than the room that it is in.

If you are fermenting in a room that is in the 80's with no temp control, your beer is probably fermenting closer to 90 degrees - 25 degrees too hot!

If you don't already have one, get a stick on thermometer on your fermenting vessel, this will show you the temp of the beer inside.

OK, thank yall so much. I'll relax and wait but it's about to kill me. I'm sure looking forward to a good strong buzz on beer that I brewed. I moved a window ac unit into the room and now my temp is staying in the mid to low 60's. I'll bottle the amber ale next Sat and let it condition at room temp 1 week and in the fridge 2 weeks. This is so much fun I can't believe I didn't start this hobby 20 yrs ago.

For what it's worth, carbonation happens best around 70. So, since it's already finished fermenting, let it carbonate at room temps.

Next time - ferment cooler. And while we all understand the wait thing - you chose a hobby that is all about patience. forget these beers - set them aside, let them mellow, go make another batch - build up your pipeline. I'm drinking beers I brewed 3 or 4 months ago...

welcome to HBT and your new obsession!

Back