Help with American IPA recipe - first mini-mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Looking to do a solid, clean American style IPA. Also looking to do my first mini-mash, and hoping to keep it simple.

Here's the ingredients I'm considering, looking for feedback:

3 lbs. American 2-row malt grain
0.5 lbs. American Caramel 10°L
7 lbs. Northern Brewer Gold Liquid Extract
0.25 lbs. Maltodextrin
1 oz. Centennial (Pellets, 10.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 10 min.
1 tsp Irish Moss
Yeast : US-05

I plugged some of this into beer tools (what was in their database) and it looks like a 7% with 60 IBUs.

Any comments / suggestions? I've done some research, read others' recipes and kinda pieced this together.

EDIT: Add 1 oz Cascade dryhop.

I'd drop the maltodextrin, looks nice otherwise.

I might go with crystal 20 rather than 10, but it'd be fine with 10.

And maybe move the 30 minute hops to 15 and make it 2 oz, and move the 10 minute hops to half an ounce at 5 and half an ounce at flameout. Again, that's just my crazy idea; it'll be fine as-is. I just like a lot of late flavor/aroma hops.

I'd drop the maltodextrin, looks nice otherwise.

I might go with crystal 20 rather than 10, but it'd be fine with 10.

And maybe move the 30 minute hops to 15 and make it 2 oz, and move the 10 minute hops to half an ounce at 5 and half an ounce at flameout. Again, that's just my crazy idea; it'll be fine as-is. I just like a lot of late flavor/aroma hops.

Thanks - I actually meant to add an additional 1oz of Cascade for dry hop, as I too like the aroma. I like your ideas.

In the previous two batches I've brewed (extract with specialty grains), I have not added any maltodextrin, and I've added it here on a whim mostly. The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe in Clone Brews has it, and I've seen it referenced elsewhere as adding "mouthfeel".

In the previous two batches I've brewed (extract with specialty grains), I have not added any maltodextrin, and I've added it here on a whim mostly. The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe in Clone Brews has it, and I've seen it referenced elsewhere as adding "mouthfeel".

I don't like it in my APAs and IPAs, it makes it seem too "thick" to my taste. The crystal will also add some body and mouthfeel. If you really want mouthfeel, you could add .25 pound dextrine malt (carapils) instead of the MD to the mash.

Not to hijack my APA's horribly lack body and mouthfeel and I've been using like 1lb 20L in them and 10# pale 2 row. Would this malto dextrine help?

Not to hijack my APA's horribly lack body and mouthfeel and I've been using like 1lb 20L in them and 10# pale 2 row. Would this malto dextrine help?

Maybe- or Carapils. I usually use 40L crystal in my APAs, or a mix of 40L and 60L for some complexity. Maybe more important (in my mind anyway) is mash temperature. If you mash at about 153 or so, and use some other malts like Munich malt, you might be happier. Victory malt is also nice in an APA.

Here are the BJCP guidelines on APAs:

Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.

Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.

The mouthfeel should be medium to medium-light, since it's a pretty quaffable beer. I'm wondering if more carbonation may be what's needed, instead of a "thickener".

I don't like it in my APAs and IPAs, it makes it seem too "thick" to my taste. The crystal will also add some body and mouthfeel. If you really want mouthfeel, you could add .25 pound dextrine malt (carapils) instead of the MD to the mash.

I like the idea of just upping the crystal lovibond a little or adding some Munich rather than a non-fermentable adjunct. Honestly, I could probably get by without anything other than the 10L and a gold syrup. I am thinking about doing an Oktober Ale soon, so maybe I'll get a couple of pounds of Munich and share it amongst the recipes. As I noted, I am looking for straight-forward and clean.

Thanks for the advice.

Back