Tank Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor had a homemade kegerator set up years ago but when his refrigerator died he never rebuilt it. He was cleaning his garage and gave me his 5lb tank, dual guage regulator, shank assembly, rear seal faucet (faucet currently frozen shut) and hoses. I will replace the hoses

The regulator is a Cornelius 857-A Style PL-60 and says Carbon Dioxide - Nitrous Oxide. Is this a dual purpose regulator or do all of them work with both gasses?

The tank inspection expired in 1998 so this stuff has been sitting around for 10+ years. Should I rebuild the regulator (I found rebuild kits with google) or give it go and see what happens?

Also, a local fire extinguisher distributor will reinspect/certify the tank for $22. Is that reasonable?

As far as the tank is concerned, see if you can find a place that does tank exchanges (much like you would do with a propane tank). Pay for the exchange and check the stamp on your new tank. Let the exchange place worry about recertifying the older tank.

:tank:

The regulator is a Cornelius 857-A Style PL-60 and says Carbon Dioxide - Nitrous Oxide. Is this a dual purpose regulator or do all of them work with both gasses?

I don't know, but as long as it says Carbon dioxide on it you should be good to go. I would test it first before re-building it, if it aint broken don't fix it.

Funny, I just got the exact same model from my work...Not in the best shape, I'm going to need to replace at least the gauge. It's rusty and bent and the paper in the back of the dial has warped from moisture/age. I'll also more than likely need to replace the input from the tank as it looks like someone tried to take it off of the tank with their teeth. But it was free so who am I to complain? At least now I can attempt to pressure test my dozen or so kegs...Anybody have a good recomendation on where I can find parts for this thing?

Back