DC Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a food saver...if everyone on the DME split is willing to toss in a buck or two towards the bags we could use that. (Or if they want to bring their own..) Not sure how that will work out, but I'm thinking I am going to use the food saver on mine at least when I get home if nothing else, to keep out the moisture.

I have a food saver...if everyone on the DME split is willing to toss in a buck or two towards the bags we could use that. (Or if they want to bring their own..) Not sure how that will work out, but I'm thinking I am going to use the food saver on mine at least when I get home if nothing else, to keep out the moisture.

I think that's a great idea and a generous offer. I'll chip in. But doesn't the powder get sucked into the machine and ruin it? That stuff is wicked. Not only is it hydroscopic, it is highly static too. Everytime I make a starter my scale, countertop, and measuring cup are cladded with sticky goo. The bag opening gets sticky too very quickly.

There must be thread here or someone who knows how to deal with the stuff, elegantly.

Wow! A lot happened while I was away. Got back late Friday and unfortunately heading back out for a short 2 day trip, then I should be home for a while. I will TRY to compile this into a spreadsheet today and get it out to people to double check before I order. Need everyone to do that quickly as I have to get this order in before I go on the road again.

Some things to note: If you are doing a split with someone, the person that started the split pays me and you work out the rest amongst yourselves. This is a pretty complicated process and you guys took it to a new level this go around. :) Second, if you are doing splits bring your own bags and buckets. I don't keep a lot of old bags and whatnot around, so please Come Prepared!. Third, we have had a few screw-ups on the warehouse end and though we both tried, we have not been able to get a good resolution to this. The warehouse just doesn't care about a few sacks of grain being screwed up or missing from an order. The LHBS I go through does this ABSOLUTELY free out of his good heart, so complaining to him will only endanger our relationship. I tell him, but that is all the leverage I have. So please know this going in. Fourth, please, please, please try to make the pickup date. If you can't make it, arrange with someone else on the buy or a friend to do it for you. This is important! Finally, please feel free to bring samples of your craft. I have had some AWESOME beers and mead from you guys! If you have not sent me your email address, please make sure you do so I can add you to the group list and send you the spreadsheet.

I think that's a great idea and a generous offer. I'll chip in. But doesn't the powder get sucked into the machine and ruin it? That stuff is wicked. Not only is it hydroscopic, it is highly static too. Everytime I make a starter my scale, countertop, and measuring cup are cladded with sticky goo. The bag opening gets sticky too very quickly.

There must be thread here or someone who knows how to deal with the stuff, elegantly.

My machine is capable of stopping suction when you want, so as long as we are careful I think we can make it work and just not over suck. I will let ya know this week, as I am going to try to seal what I have on hand. That stuff is a PITA to handle. Everything is always so damn sticky after, but thats why I was thinking food saver = no air/moisture until use. I am also thinking if we leave a little head space in the bag it might not be so bad.

Another option is everyone bring small mouth jars...I have the attachment for the foodsaver that vacuum seals them. I may do that for myself, I just have to judge how many jars I would need for my DME...

OK folks, I have tallied the list (what a PITA it was not keeping up for a few weeks!) and I have the spreadsheet ready to send out. First issue I have is you guys ordered rye malt which is not on the price list. I will see if we can get it so that is one sack that is "iffy". Second, you ordered a sack of C120 which is also not on the price list. Ditto the rye. So that leaves two "iffy" sacks. Once I find out about those two we can close this order out. If we cannot get one of them, PikevilleBrew is in for another sack as he was the first to ask. Stay tuned!

stonebrewer said:
BTW, who made the barrel stout on the last buy?? It was AMAZING! Well done!!!

Thank you. I'm quite proud of that one. 15 gallon rye whiskey barrel treated me well on that batch and ditto so far for my Barleywine. I'm not in on this buy, but will likely be in on the next. Will be sure to bring another bottle of the stout and, if ready, the Barleywine. Not sure I have enough kegs to hold/carb it though!!

I can send my share to the primary buyers of the split whenever via PayPal. Just shoot me a PM with the amount. Cheers!

Great! That's what I like to hear.

Brilliant minds think alike:
I hashed out the finances on who owes what to whom from all the splits.
Once I hear from Tony about the price and availability of the C120 and rye malt, I can send you all the private link to the tally sheet.

I just sent an email about this to everyone stonebrewer contacted last night. If you did not get that email from me, that means I don't have your email address. Please pm it to me.

Great! That's what I like to hear.

Brilliant minds think alike:
I hashed out the finances on who owes what to whom from all the splits.
Once I hear from Tony about the price and availability of the C120 and rye malt, I can send you all the private link to the tally sheet.

I just sent an email about this to everyone stonebrewer contacted last night. If you did not get that email from me, that means I don't have your email address. Please pm it to me.

I should put the word "meth" in my emails a few times so that NSA's bots will get "crystal" and "meth" and all the pending transactions in the wrong context. :rockin:

Sent a PM to you...was there an e-mail we were supposed to get from Stonebrewer last night, or just some people? (Wanted to make sure I didn't miss the email with the amounts due...) As soon as I get that link from you I will pay it. I will PM amounts due on the DME once I get confirmation on the exact price from Stonebrewer.

Sent a PM to you...was there an e-mail we were supposed to get from Stonebrewer last night, or just some people? (Wanted to make sure I didn't miss the email with the amounts due...) As soon as I get that link from you I will pay it. I will PM amounts due on the DME once I get confirmation on the exact price from Stonebrewer.

Stonebrewer didn't have your email addy last night. I've just forwarded it to him.
He'll send you his spreadsheet, otherwise, remind him.

I sent you an email at the first address you used. Did you not receive it? I was missing 3 others but not you...

Only people I did not send to were split only people (which I probably should correct) and the three whose email I didn't have but do now. Will send an email tomorrow to them.

Still waiting to hear about the rye. Will try to call him from the airport tomorrow afternoon as I think I am flying back early...

I sent you an email at the first address you used. Did you not receive it? I was missing 3 others but not you...

Only people I did not send to were split only people (which I probably should correct) and the three whose email I didn't have but do now. Will send an email tomorrow to them.

Still waiting to hear about the rye. Will try to call him from the airport tomorrow afternoon as I think I am flying back early...

It must have gotten lost in IT space since I never got it, but I have it now. As soon as we figure out the cost of the last two grains I will get my portion paid. Do you have e-mails for everyone on the splits, or do we just PM them with our paypal ID? (Sorry for the question if I missed that answer somewhere in here.)

This is probably a stupid question but are we supposed to wait with the payment until the rye and C120 question has been addressed? If not, could I please get the PayPal info from my dealers: IslandLizard and jnr1005? I do have Stony's.

EDIT: Stony, I'll just hand you $2 in cash when I pick up :)

EDIT 2: I saw that IslandLizard put a "Hold" on payments to him on the Google doc spread sheet. I guess that answers my question :fro:

I added some Paypal IDs to the Split Spreadsheet. Mine is on there. I don't have jnr's yet.

If everyone not on that list sends their Paypal info to me (pm or email) I'll add them to it.

For those 4 split buyers where C120 or Rye are involved, please hold off paying me until we have the missing info. For everything else, you may pay all the others, including me.

I added some Paypal IDs to the Split Spreadsheet. Mine is on there. I don't have jnr's yet.

If everyone not on that list sends their Paypal info to me (pm or email) I'll add them to it.

For those 4 split buyers where C120 or Rye are involved, please hold off paying me until we have the missing info. For everything else, you may pay all the others, including me.

Thanks! I think jrn's is the same as her email address; at least PayPal accepted my money :D

Still have not heard back from the buyer. Will call him or stop by his store tomorrow as I will be in Manassas.

I think we were over a sack on this buy as miahpage had ordered a sack that I missed which if my spreadsheet is correct put us at 41; still need to figure out the rye and C120. If we can get these, either the last sack of D Munich or Vienna has to move to the next buy.

Please do me a BIG FAVOR!! If you order, or update an order, please put each item on a separate line as follows:

1x Rahr Pale
2x D Munich
5# C60 split with IslandLizard (assuming IslandLizard started the split...)

This will help me not miss things, especially when it is a CRAZY time like the last 3 months when I have lived on the road...thanks!

We are waiting for our buyer to call me. That is how it always works, so I ask patience as I cannot govern someone elses actions who is doing us all a big favor for FREE. As soon as I hear something, you will all know...

Cheers!

PS - I will just go ahead and send him the updated spreadsheet tonight and see what he says (whenever he gets to it...).

I emailed stonebrewer last night and he has not heard back from our buyer. He's going to give him another call today...

So I called, no answer, left a message for him to call me. He didn't call. Not sure when he will but at this point I am not going to be able to receive them until after my next business trip, unless a miracle happens. Will call again a few more times this week...

stonebrewer said:
Called again...same results. Seriously thinking about moving our buy to another vendor as I know people are getting frustrated. Sorry folks!

Well, at what point do we call it a day? If we move it to a different source we need to get a new price list. Let's cancel this one and start over (or not). In the meantime, I'll cross Derek off the reliable list.

I am sending the money back to those that sent split money. I suggest we tear this one apart and reconsider.

I can send money back too...if that's what we are doing. I need to get my money back from Stonebrewer first (since I paid all the splits once I received them) or wait until payday. Either way, I will get everything reversed if that is what we are doing? I'm really bummed. Wanted this grain, but I guess it is what it is...

I can send money back too...if that's what we are doing. I need to get my money back from Stonebrewer first (since I paid all the splits once I received them) or wait until payday. Either way, I will get everything reversed if that is what we are doing? I'm really bummed. Wanted this grain, but I guess it is what it is...

I say we give the guy until Sunday. If it doesnt work out by then, refunds all around!

Back