Should I Repitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
Well Ive brewed my own version of a Belgian IPA and used Wyeast Belgian Ardennes (3522) I pitched it on sunday evening and has finished on Wed. evening. Starting gravity was 1.056 and it has finished at 1.026. Well I'd like to see it finish at 1.012 - 1.014. Should I repitch with the 3522 again or use something that would be more of a generic form. Ive already got it in my secondary and dry hopping.

Any suggestions out there

Can you post up your recipe and procedure? It would help in seeing why it would have stopped so high.

6.6 lbs Unhopped Amber Malt Extract
1 lbs Crystal 2 Row Barley Malt
1 oz Nugget
2 oz Amarillo
1 oz Columbus
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast 3522)
1 oz Irish Moss
Steep grain in 2 gallons water for 30 min at 150 degrees. Sparge grains with 1 gal water and bring back to boil. Add 6.6 lbs Unhopped Amber Malt Extract and 1 oz Nugget Hops and boil for 60 min. Add 2 oz Amarillo at 20 min. Add 1 oz Irish Moss at 15 min.
Pitch yeast at 78 degrees.

I'd warm it up a bit and see if it didn't dry out, and if not I'd make a starter of 3522 and pitch it when it's active to dry it out. I'm not sure you'll get down to 1.014, though - the darker malt extracts have a lesser amount of fermentable sugars, and combined with a pound of crystal I'd be happy to get it under 1.020.

Warming it up could help, yeah. Are you using any kind of temperature control at the moment or just letting it go on its own?

Might also try rocking the fermenter is doing a (careful and quick) stir of the bottom to get the yeast back into suspension. You'd want to make sure you don't stir it up too much and oxygenate it or anything.

Thanks for the advice guys. Well I guess my next step will be to do a starter of 3522. Ive already transfered to secondary and have it in a warmer area of my house. I guess if I could bring it down to around 1.020 or so I'll take that and chalk it up to experience for the next time I do a Belgian IPA, I will use a lighter malt. It does have great flavor though so thats a positive.

One of the things I wish they'd make bigger mention of in homebrew books/newbie guides is that different malt extracts have a different amount of fermentable and unfermentable sugars. Most of them are probably mashed 154+ or maybe the concencentration of them into syrup/powdered form has some impact, I don't know, but the effect is that for beers under 1.060, a pound of crystal is probably too much if you want more than ~72% attenuation.

I'd have to agree with that statement. Being that this is only my 6th batch and having thought that I'd try to venture into putting together my own recipe, it seems I may fall short of what I was hoping the outcome would be. All is not lost, it still will be a drinkable beer.

I actually just found a chart in the appendix of one of my books that has a Grain and Adjuncts chart that list lovibond, gravity (1lb in 1gal.) and characteristics for each beer style. Next time I put together something I will surely use it as a reference.

Back