Dishwasher...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorBoy

All Around Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, has anyone tried to use there dishwasher with oxyclean instead of detergent, with starsan as a rinse? just seems like a quick way to get all my bottles clean and sanitized at once on bottling day...

I use the High Temp/Sanitize feature with my dishwasher w/o detergent. So far, so good. I do rinse the bottles out really good with the "jet bottle washer"
(Jet Carboy and Bottle Washer Company) before I load them in the washer. The reason I do not use detergent is that I heard it can effect head retention in the beer. Also, let those bottles cool before filling them with greatness ;)

I wouldn't count on the dishwasher getting the bottles clean on the inside. I doubt that enough cleaner will get sprayed into the bottles through the small opening.

There are some people that do use the dishwasher to sanitize bottles, but if they're not clean to begin with, you can't ever properly sanitize.

So, has anyone tried to use there dishwasher with oxyclean instead of detergent, with starsan as a rinse? just seems like a quick way to get all my bottles clean and sanitized at once on bottling day...

I have. If you do that, then run an extra cycle with no-oxyclean because oxy-clean leaves a white residue on your bottles in the dishwasher.

Didn't use star-san as a rinse though.

I just rinse the yeast sediment out of my bottles afer I pour the beer and put the bottle in the dishwasher to wash long with the glasses and regular dishes. Then I put the clean bottles away somewhere till I'm ready to bottle. Then when I'm ready to bottle beer, I run a load of already basically clean bottles with some oxyclean, and an extra rinse cycle with nothing added and on the hot setting on the dishwasher.

Very easy. The hardest part is listening to the kids complain when I make them do it.

I hardly ever wash my bottles. Rinse twice right as you empty it, turn it upside down on the dish rack to dry out.

Then when you bottle, just dunk it in some star-san - shake a bit and pour it out. that's it.

never had an issue.

Back