Yeast Starter Alternatives - No DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I used the search function and got some usefull info, but thought it might make for some intresting and useful input.

Being in MS I have no LHBS, meaning if I don't got it and need it.... I'm in trouble. So I have to pretend to be one of those fine US Marines and Improvise/Adapt/Overcome, atleast that's what Eastwood said in Heartbreak Ridge! Well it's happened, my beautiful wife bought me the "Flat Tire" clone kit from Midwestsupplies.com. I've got the smack pack Belg. Abby Yeast, and the ingredients for the kit. The way I see it, i've got a couple of options to make a starter as I don't have any extra DME/LME on hand:

1-Use some of the LME that came with the kit.
2-Use honey.
3-Use a mix of honey and some of the LME that came with the kit.
4-Buy the Malt Extract made as a food/table syrup from my local whole foods store.
5-Use corn sugar.
6-Use table sugar.

For the record I figured I'd just use a bit of the LME from the kit. Though I am intrigued with using honey. I'd just like to know what some of yall have done in a pinch and how it worked out for you.

5 and 6 are definitely a NO. honey isn't really any good either.

i'd just skip the starter, and cope with the lag time. if the pouch swells, you have viable yeast.

if you can oxygenate the wort, that'll help grow your yeast colony.

Check your grocery store's "Ethnic Food" section for a product called "Malta Goya" mix it 50/50 with water, pop it in the microwave until it bubbles, cool and pitch your yeast to that.

This little trick has saved me now and then. ;)

I second the opinion of not making a starter at all.

Kevin Dean said:
Check your grocery store's "Ethnic Food" section for a product called "Malta Goya" mix it 50/50 with water, pop it in the microwave until it bubbles, cool and pitch your yeast to that.

I wonder how much of the Malta Goya is actually malt extract and how much is the cheaper corn syrup.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I second the opinion of not making a starter at all.
I wonder how much of the Malta Goya is actually malt extract and how much is the cheaper corn syrup.

Kai

Dunno, but I did give the ingredient list a once-over the last time I was in a Food Lion (which seems to be the only chain around here which carries it regularly). It was pretty much malted barley & hops, with nothing else that I can remember. In short, this is a great starter medium (based on my limited experience). If you have the time, energy and ingredients, of course a DME starter is a good idea. If you're short of any -- or all -- of those, Malta Goya is a remarkable substitute.

What struck me most was the fact that this stuff was designed to be fermented, without actually mentioning that that's its purpose in life. I suppose you could drink it as is, but that would seem to defeat the purpose.

Chad

You know you could also just dump it in. It might be hard to believe but there was a time when the majority of us just dumped it in :) Hell we did not even have liquid yeast then either. Might go faster with a starter, but hey... time is always on your side right :)

I usually use dry yeast anyway, but I was interested in this question. If the purpose of making a starter is to get the yeast hydrated and started feeding and multiplying, why not start them out with a little table sugar or some honey?

I have done this before, but only with dry yeast. I hydrating the yeast, but then I got delayed for some reason. Since the yeast had been sitting in plain water for a little while I decided to give them a little snack of some sugar. Why is a couple teaspoons of sugar or honey bad to add in a starter?

When this process was explained to me 3 years ago when I got back into brewing I was like.. huh.... never done it before... why start now... then I was like.. well.... if I do this.... then I'll be "brewing my beer" for an extra day! Hey why not :) More brewing is better right :D

mrk305 said:
I usually use dry yeast anyway, but I was interested in this question. If the purpose of making a starter is to get the yeast hydrated and started feeding and multiplying, why not start them out with a little table sugar or some honey?

I have done this before, but only with dry yeast. I hydrating the yeast, but then I got delayed for some reason. Since the yeast had been sitting in plain water for a little while I decided to give them a little snack of some sugar. Why is a couple teaspoons of sugar or honey bad to add in a starter?

As I understand it, the yeast will adapt to the simple sugar that you're using, which is easier to ferment, and they will stop producing something that they need to process the more complex sugars found in wort. I'm sure someone here will have more detail.

Awesome responses guys, I'd would never have known that I could use Malta Goya, I'm gonna check into that. As for just dumping it in, I know I can do that and do often use dry yeast for ciders, just dump and forget! But I was wondering what some people might have done if they just had to have a starter for a "Big" beer.

I'm supprised no one has said anything about the Barly Malt available at the health/whole food store. I think I'm gonna give it a try (if I don't use some of the LME from the kit). I've check the ingredients, no preservatives or additives just 100% pure barley malt used much in the same way as honey/sorgum/cane/molasses on biscuits and such. Cost like $6 for 32-64 ounces of the stuff. One day I'm gonna get around to brewing up a 1 gallon batch with some of the stuff just to see how it turns out. Thanks for the input atleast I have another option or 2 tomorrow morning. Any other odd/off the wall ideas?

Phillip

Went to the store and checked it out... First 3 ingredients... Malt, Hops, High Fructose Corn Syrup.... Just wanted to let ya know it does have the dread "corn syrup" in it!

Edit: I'd imagine this stuff is invaluable at making prison hooch, doubt the warden even lets it inside the gates!

Back