Guiness bottles with the widget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orfy said:
It'd be good if it works but It all sounds like a lot of hassle to me.
Can't you just keg and use nitrogen?

It does give a creamier head. I guess if you wanted it bottled you could keg, pressurise cool then bottle.

FYI, it's not the nitrogen in the keg that gives the stout the creamy head. It's the tap. Stout taps have a restrictor plate that causes the creamy, long-lasting head. The only reason folks use nitrogen is to drive the tap. If they increase the CO2 pressure to drive the tap, they end up with a stout that is way to carbonated. Nitrogen, on the other hand, won't dissolve into the solution very easily, so it is easy to crank up the nitrogen to the pressure necessary to get the beer through the restrictor plate in the tap.

bikebryan said:
FYI, it's not the nitrogen in the keg that gives the stout the creamy head. It's the tap. Stout taps have a restrictor plate that causes the creamy, long-lasting head. The only reason folks use nitrogen is to drive the tap. If they increase the CO2 pressure to drive the tap, they end up with a stout that is way to carbonated. Nitrogen, on the other hand, won't dissolve into the solution very easily, so it is easy to crank up the nitrogen to the pressure necessary to get the beer through the restrictor plate in the tap.

All I know is that If I use nitrogen I get a creamier head than when I use CO2 and that's the same keg and tap.

I am very interested in this little experiment as well. I have about a half case of emty guiness draught bottles.

Not from me...my stout is in the secondary for a week now and I leave for Mexico Saturday. I'm kind of leaning towards kegging it for a NYE party, but if I don't I'll definitely attempt widget reuse.

BeeGee said:
Not from me...my stout is in the secondary for a week now and I leave for Mexico Saturday. I'm kind of leaning towards kegging it for a NYE party, but if I don't I'll definitely attempt widget reuse.
Did you ever find your needlenose?

Really pulling this one from the deep!

Has anyone had success with this? Cleaning, sanitizing, the works?

Just wondering, getting close to St. Patty's day and all

Same here... Forgive me for bumping an old thread here but I'm curious if the re-use of a widget was ever tried. I would gather if it worked with out nitrogen in the bottle it would produce a gusher? Or you would have to have a lower vol. of CO2.

One way to try this is to get the widget out, boil it and throw it in a 2 liter or 3 liter soda bottle. Fill it with beer and add the cap with the tire stem (You can make them for ~5$ for two and are reusable). Close it add some CO2 to force the beer into the widget and done.

Assemble-the-soda-bottle-cap-and-tire-stem.jpg

Back