Water bottle Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
Anyone tried those giant water jugs (that look like better bottles) to ferment in? They are the ones that go upside down like in an office.

Better bottles are BETTER because they don't allow in oxygen which ruins your beer.

But, that is just my understanding. To answer the question, NO, I haven't tried them, I was told not to.

As long as they are PET you should be safe to use them... I'm actually going to be looking at them, once I find a local store that has the 4 gallon bottles, and probably will give at least one a try... Would be solid to start fermenting 3 gallons of mead in (since it holds 4 gallons)... Plus transporting water in one will be easier since it means using just a couple of bottles instead of many gallon (or 2.5 gallon) jugs...

This has been discussed to death, please use search.

This topic will almost always draw out an argument of "Is the plastic safe". I say it depends on the number on the bottom; a 1 or 2 is safe everything else is not. Alcohol may leach toxic cancer causing chemicals into the beer. Most water bottles are a 6 that I have seen. Also the point of oxygen permeability is in question with these.

I have beaten all I have to say on this topic in these other threads and will not be back to this one...

GL

To clarify, I am not taking about better bottles but the "water cooler" type bottles that resemble them. Just didn't know if that type of plastic was ok, I'll have to find one and see If it's PET

I have not but it seems like a good deal, you get the bottle with clean brew water in it then just exchange it every time you need a new fermenter never have to clean a fermenting bucket again.

I have used them LOTS of times as a secondary, and more than a few times as a primary, with no noticeable ill effect. As a matter of fact in my case, it is my go-to fermenter for 2.5 - 4 gallon trial batches. As always, YRMV. ( Not that I think so, but best to cover my arse, LOL )

Case in Point - my current beer honoring Charlie Sheen - "Winning" Ale = was a 2.5 gallon batch made with 2.5 lbs 2 row, 2.5 lbs corn, and three 2.5 oz hop additions of cascade at 60 min, flame out, and dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back