Can I pitch yeast the day after I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewsheldon

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma. I have everything I need to brew a batch of Northern Brewers Spiced Winter Ale except yeast. Well, except the yeast I want to use. The only time I'm going to have in the next few weeks is this Sunday. My local HBS is about an hour away and I wont be up in that area until Monday. My question is simply, what would be the ramifications of brewing on Sunday afternoon and not pitching the yeast until Monday evening? I would transfer the boiled wort to a sanitized fermenter and install the air lock as normal, just would not add the yeast until the next day.

My other option is to use SafAle US05 Dry yeast, which I really don't want to do.

If your sanitation is good you can get away with it. Putting the yeast in quickly helps them to eat up the sugars before anything else can take hold.

Take a look at no Chill brewing. It looks like many brewers do wait this long. There is an increased chance for an infection to take hold if you haven't sanitized.

certainly, just watch your sanitation. I often make a starter from the wort of brew day, let it go for 24-36 hours and then pitch mainly because I want to stabilize the fermentation starting temp.

I don't think it would really hurt anything.... but the risk of infection would be increased, although still small with very good sanitization practices.

Back