Odd pinlock kegs... Considering purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Anyone seen pinlock kegs like these?

4298754448_4dc7f0c407_o.jpg

4298754432_b1e578d094.jpg

i never have but if they are free, take them. even if you dont have any need for them, brewers like my self would love the posts off of them. lol

They aren't free or there would be no discussion. Asking price is $20 each which is on par with cornelious kegs. He says they unscrew to open. Apparently they were left by a room mate who was a brewer.

Struck a deal that I feel is fair with the guy selling them. Will post pictures tonight or tomorrow. Depending on what the internals look like I'll use these for serving or fermenting. I already have 2 pinlock kegs (and too many ball locks).

Ended up getting the 5 kegs and a CO2 tank for $40.

Kegs are old sprite kegs, 1 is missing a valve. Dip tubes are plastic.

To seal the keg, you put the piece that holds the gasket into the hole, then line the pins on the retaining ring up with the appropriate grooves and twist. Kinda a goofy system but it'll work.

Kegs are 5 gallon and stainless.

Haven't decided what the future for these kegs is - I'm open to suggestions.

Pictures: If you want other pictures or a youtube video showing assembly lemme know. I'd be curious about the history of these...

4299662190_8bc49af33a.jpg

4299662374_b6e92f2216.jpg

4298915711_c5a2dcce22.jpg

4299663022_83932a1127.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by missing a valve. I didnt know there were any valves on a keg. That sounds like a really awesome deal.

By valve I meant post. One of the 5 kegs is missing a post. My brain is fried - only 9:00 but I think it's bedtime.

i think you did really good here. as far as possibilities go, if you dont already have one, dedicate a keg for sanitizer solution. nice to have ready to go. and of course they can be used for secondary, and or kegging. again nice buy.

Unfortunately, I use Iodophor so a keg of sanitizer is a no go AFAIK. I used starsan for a while but found I prefer Iodophor.

Initially, I'll probably strip them down and use them as 4 gallon fermenters for a melomel I want to make. Much easier to pull a fruit bag out of this hole than a carboy... If I can figure out new dip tubes I'll consider putting them into service as serving kegs.

These might also end up in the classifieds section a couple months down the road.

Back