Batch sparging: getting off to an early boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
A question I have for batch spargers.

Some of you talk about starting your boil right away with the first runoff. That makes sense to me. I presume this is really only to get a move-on with your brewday and doesn’t have any particular effects on the beer quality. Right?

Then you collect the second (or third) runoffs in a separate vessel. Naturally.

But how do you then transfer the remaining wort collections to the main cauldron? Just dump it in? Hot side aeration not a concern? Splashing hot wort on your face and chest not a concern?

I’m entering into my first batch sparging experience this weekend and I’m just curious to know how folks are doing it. I like to be prepared.

Thanks!

Right
I just drain it directly.
HSA isn't a problem.
I use a hose connected to the tun.

One vessel.

As soon as the 1st runnings are in the kettle, I light the fire. That starts heating up while I dump in sparge water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes, and then recirculate. I then transfer these runnings right into the kettle with the first runnings.

hot side aeration is a phantom, in my opinion.

HSA isn't a problem.
Cool. Two votes squashing HSA concerns across the board.
One vessel.

As soon as the 1st runnings are in the kettle, I light the fire. That starts heating up while I dump in sparge water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes, and then recirculate. I then transfer these runnings right into the kettle with the first runnings.
Transfer via vinyl tube which reaches down into the kettle? I guess I was just worried about it sitting down there on the bottom of my fired-up brew kettle getting melted. I suppose I could make sure it was suspended.

I imagine I won't do the early boil the first few times I brew anyway. I'll want to get a SG reading of the full pre-boil volume to figure out what efficiency I'm hitting.

Thanks.

If your vinyl hose is rated for high temps (I use silicon) just make sure it isn't resting on the bottom when you transfer.

Have fun!

Back