Hop Burst Imperial Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahurd110

Reaction score
Hello all, frequent lurker but first time posting. I was looking for some feedback on the Imperial Red Ale recipe I came up with...this is going to be my first time using the hop burst technique...no 60 min addition, just a tiny first wort then a crapload in the last 15 for big flavor and aroma.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.29 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.5 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 18.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76.7 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

INGREDIENTS:

12lb US 2-Row Pale
1 lb CaraMunich II
1 lb Carared
1 lb Crystal 45
6 oz Chocolate Rye
1 lb Flaked Wheat

.25oz Columbus- First Wort Hop

.75 oz Columbus+1oz Amarillo+1oz Chinook- 15 min

1 oz Columbus+1oz Amarillo+1oz Chinook- 5 min

1oz Columbus+1oz Amarillo+1oz Chinook- Flameout

Dryhop 3oz total for 1 week

Ferment w/ S-05

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs 5.9 oz

The idea here is a to achieve a big red ale with a firm bitterness and big hop flavors while still maintaining some malt complexities.

Thoughts?

This is not a hop burst type of hopping schedule, hop burst means that you add most of the hops in the last 5 min and let it sit for 30 min hot, then cool. I would add a little 60 min hops to kind of balance the sweetness, Hop bursting adds a different kind of sweetness but it still has to be balanced to work in a beer. .

I like the hops but I think the recipe is a little crystal heavy. I'd back off to no more than a 1.5 lbs. Something like a .50 each of the 3 you have. I'd do less if it were me. Something like .50 Carared, .50 Caramunich, .25 Crystal 45L. The rest looks good to me, albeit a bit dark for the style. You can use 3 lbs of crystal, it works but if you've never tried a crystal bomb I'd not recommend it.

If you want to maintain more malt complexities either change your base malt to a more flavorful variety (MO, GP, etc) and mash higher. Or other options include a less attenuative yeast choice, etc.

For me, a big red like this needs some residual sweetness and caramel flavor from crystal malts, but i think 3# is quite a bit, I would consider modifying your grain bill as follows:

13 lb US 2-Row Pale
3/4 lb CaraMunich II
3/4 lb Carared
3/4 lb Crystal 45
6 oz Chocolate Rye
1 lb Flaked Wheat

I would also mash around 152 and shoot for a final gravity of 1.016 or so.......big reds IMO should not be super dry like IPA.

mmmmm hopbursting. I have done something simular to a few pale ales and they are so darn tasty! I'd probably add some cara-pils malt for body. I add it to almost everything.

Thanks guys for the help. The last few beers I have done I thought may have been a touch too crystal heavy turned out really try so thats why I went a bit heavy handed. I think I will dial it back to around 1.5lb total, mash at 153ish and hope for the best!

Latest posts

Back