Rauchbier Cherry Beech Smokebeer (Many Awards)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. I guess I'll keep it at the low end (60). Never had a rauchbier!

I have been looking at this recipe for quite a while.
Finally brewed up a batch a week ago. I do not have the set up to do a true lager, so
I pitched a nice starter of WLP 810. Fermenting at the low end seemed to have done the trick.
Checked the sg today and had a little taste from the sample. Going to be a nice winter time treat.

@passedpawn

The original pictures of this beer inspired me to make a rauchbier for once that's not black, brown or coke colored. I forgot about chasing down this recipe before I put this together.

Last week I wound up making a Irish Red Ale with a pale malt that's been smoked with pistachio shells. The pistachio smoke is very mellow. I used a small assortment of roasted malt; special roast, biscuit, and roasted barley, then some 20L, the rauch malt, and the base being Maris Otter. Pitched Muntons Premium Gold Dry Ale Yeast. Used Willamette too.

I need to just put this recipe into Biermacht do remember to make it and the beech and cherry rauch malts.

Also forgot it's a Jamil recipe! I have that book.

Last edited:
This beer is not for the faint of heart. It will have you blowing smoke. 65% smoked malts, and bacon dryhogged.... This makes for a seriously BBQ'd beer.

Briess Smoked Malt
6 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Smoked Malt
4 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
3 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Munich Type II
1 lbs, 8 oz
Caramel Munich
0 lbs, 4 oz
Weyermann Melanoidin
0 lbs, 4 oz
Crisp Black Malt
0 lbs, 2 oz
Williamette Pellets
1 oz @ 60 mins
Williamette Pellets
1 oz @ 30

Mash at 153, Batch sparge with 164. After primary fermentation has finished, rack to a secondary and bake 1/3-1/2 lb of bacon @400 for 20 min flipping half way. Drop into keg in hop bags securing the best way you can, let it sit on that for about 5 days (longer gets you more bacon flavor, you can over bacon) and then rack to keg or bottles.

Rauchbier belches are the best! LOL

The belches are smokey too. What's not to like about that?

Latest posts

Back