I'm thinking simple...malty...hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yet another Single Malt and Single Hop Pale...but this takes some of the base and roasts it to two different levels for a bit of complexity, while still staying a SMaSH beer.

With a 1/2 pound of nugget hops in stock and a desire for a malty, spicier hop profile..I figure what the heck.

I give you..."SMaSHing Nugget Pale Ale"

Batch Size: 12.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
15.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.00 lb Toasted Malt (Toasted at 350 for 20 minutes - 27.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Toasted Malt (Toasted at 350 for 50 minutes - 35.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Nugget [11.50%] (90 min) (FWH)
0.25 oz Nugget [11.50%] (30 min)
0.25 oz Nugget [11.50%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Nugget [11.50%] (10 min)
0.25 oz Nugget [11.50%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Nugget [11.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Do a full bodied (158) mash for 45 minutes and hope for an FG of around 1.012-1.014.

Toss on top of a Safale-05 slurry.

3 weeks primary
2 weeks secondary (to free up my bucket)
2 weeks crash cooled in the keg and taste.

Might need a bit longer with an aggressive hop like Nugget.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I'm sure BM's version will be nice and balanced.
I've not brewed anything hoppy for a while and am missing it.
I need to do a BIGIPA again soon.

Yeah, I'm sure BM's version will be nice and balanced.
I've not brewed anything hoppy for a while and am missing it.
I need to do a BIGIPA again soon.
Yeah...I've been brewing Cream ALes, Irish Reds and Wits out the arse for "events" this summer. Time to make something for me.

Those nuggets can get away from you quickly if you over do it. Lord knows I want to keep a handle on my nuggets. ;)

Hey, another all Nugget beer.
I didn't go with the one malt theme,
but here’s what I brewed up two day ago:

Batch Size: 6 gal
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity:
Efficiency: 75%
Alcohol:
Color: 7SRM
Bitterness: 32 IBU

9.00 lbs Maris Otter – Muntons
1.50 lbs Flaked Rye – Oio
1.00 lbs 20L Crystal – Briess
.25 lbs Light Munich – Weyermann
.50 oz Nugget Hop Pellets – Alpha 11.5% - FWH (60 min)
.50 oz Nugget Hop Pellets – Alpha 11.5% - 15 min
.50 oz Nugget Hop Pellets – Alpha 11.5% - 5 min
.50 oz Nugget Hop Pellets – Alpha 11.5% - Dry Hop
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II (3rd Generation)

Yeah...I've been brewing Cream ALes, Irish Reds and Wits out the arse for "events" this summer. Time to make something for me.

I hear ya brutha! I'm out of Haus Ale. I need to do a 20 gallon batch of it. Yeah, that's the ticket! Right after I get the brewhaus finished. :D

O_____O EdWort is out of Haus Pale Ale?!?!?

The world MUST be ending!

JK but this looks fantastic, BierMuncher. I will stay tuned for results. I'm lovin' my Amarillo SMaSH right now, and looking forward to trying a Pac Gem SMaSH sometime this or next week!

Bump. How's your Nugget treating you? ;) Did it wind up bitter enough for your liking?

I know this is going on a year old now... but how did it turn out? Would you brew it again?

It turned out pretty good. I doubt I'd brew it again though. Seemed a bit one-dimensional. It was clean and tasty, but didn't really fit the "malty" target I was going for. Nugget is a pretty potent flavored hop and while I enjoyed the beer, it wasn't quite tame enough to get company to imbibe.

You know what, aside from reviving this thread, I was thinking about this beer and the recipe. I think that as a smash, it was a good intention, but at the same time I think that what you might want to do instead is do a crushed, uncrushed version. Then you mash around 158* in order to really make it malty. So take the 8lbs of crushed malt and a .5lb uncrushed malt, mashed at 158* for 45min. Then you sparge (another half hour) and then do a 45min boil in order to add the hops every 15min. Then dry hop ever so slightly with say .25oz and you will end up with a malty and hoppy beer.

Back