Whirlpool setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I setup a whirlpool return tube in my kettle lid and reduced it to a 3/8" nipple.
I can't seem to get a vigorous whirlpool going. I get a very slow motion whirlpool with the march pump running full flow. Any tips for getting this working well?

I've got a curved return tube in my BK, too and mine doesn't get a big whirlpool going, either. Mostly I used it to recirculate through my CFC. I figure the little bit of movement I get is probably enough. Not enough if you're looking to whirlpool the trub into a cone, though. That doesn't bother me, though. I pump ALL of the wort out from the center of the kettle into the carboy.

i'm going to try this out too. if I can remember correctly jamil said it won't look like a real whirlpool because the march pump isn't strong enough to do that, but you don't need it to. you just need movement in a circle because you need to leave it for 20 or 30 min after it's cooled. check out mrmalty.com and email him to be sure.

Well, I was able to get a very nice whirlpool going yesterday. I didn't have a really deep vortex, but very good circular movement. I put a hose barb restricting flow at the end of my return tube and tried several angles of attack.

IMG_0111.jpg

Back