Looking to get into mead making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
I am interested in trying my hand at making Mead this year. I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pitfalls I should be aware of before I take my plunge into the world of mead

I would buy a gallon jug and make jaom (google it). It is by far the easiest and will give you drinkable mead quickly. And honey for three and a half gallons isn't to bad to buy.

JAOM doesn't require any knowledge or special techniques.

Read the sticky FAQ first. Oh. And sterilize your oak too. I forgot to sterilize mine.

It's cool to start out with small batches to see if you like meadmaking, but you'll probably quickly find that you get 5 to 6 times the result with the same effort by doing 5 to 6 gallon batches...on every one of my (three) initial 1 gallon test batches that I did, I really wished that I had more when I was done with it all!!

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on starting with 3 gallon batches bc I already like mead to begin with

Back