Whirlpooling kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
I attempted to whirlpool my kettle this weekend to keep the hops/break in the center. It didn't work too well, once we got to the bottom everything was sort of spread out and we lost a lot of wort as a result. I used pellet hops. Does anyone have ideas why this didn't work? Do I need whole hops?

glibbidy said:
my guess is that you probably need a conical vessel to truly whirlpool inorder to keep out the trub.

While we are talking about this, is there any reasons to not put the trub and break material in the fermentor? It seems to settle right away. I would guess I lost atleast 3 quarts in the kettle.

Todd said:
I attempted to whirlpool my kettle this weekend to keep the hops/break in the center. It didn't work too well, once we got to the bottom everything was sort of spread out and we lost a lot of wort as a result. I used pellet hops. Does anyone have ideas why this didn't work? Do I need whole hops?

I had the same problem. While I do not mind break material in the primary I did not want all of it and try to maximize getting the most wort from the kettle. On the last 2 batches I have siphoned all but the last gallon or so and the pour the remaining wort in a 2.5 gallon sanitized bucket lined with a nylon paint strainer bag. When I remove the bag and let the wort drain out I capture a lot more hop debris than with my prior attempt at whirlpooling. I used 6.5 oz. of hops yesterday and after using this technique I had a softball sized bag full of hops and trub.

Back