Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIT_Warrior

Reaction score
So I'm making a 90 minute IPA clone from BYO magazine, and it has been at 1.030 for about 7 days now (from a starting OG of 1.088ish, pitched 2 packets of Wyeast 1099 to start off). Target FG is ~1.022; I think the fermentation is stuck.

Anyway, I will soon finish up an ESB which is absolutely trucking through its fermentation. Should I rack the 90 minute on top of the yeast cake when that fermenter is free (the yeast for the ESB is S-04, which is pretty much the same as the 1099)? Would that restart it?

Also (more worryingly), the hydrometer sample tasted absolutely awful. Sort of like bud light with a hint of freshly squeezed grapefruit, except somehow worse. I'm certainly not giving up on it yet, but is it normal for beer to taste like that 2 weeks into fermentation?

I would rouse the yeast by gently swirling the carboy around for a few minutes. It will take a while to squeeze the last drop in gravity, like ak said. I would take another gravity reading in a week or 2 after rousing and go from there.

1.088 is a big beer and its not done yet. Leave it in the primary for 1 month then check your gravity.

I wouldn't be concerned if it was at 1.045 a week ago and at 1.030 today. I know big beers take a long time to ferment. My concern stems from the fact that it was at 1.030 a week ago and 1.030 today. And, of course, the awful taste is the other problem....but I'm hoping that will clear up later.

I would rouse the yeast by gently swirling the carboy around for a few minutes. It will take a while to squeeze the last drop in gravity, like ak said. I would take another gravity reading in a week or 2 after rousing and go from there.

That is a good idea, I'll try that.

What temperature are you fermenting at? Do you have a temperature strip on the fermenter below the level of the wort? If it's in a basement, what is the floor temperature, not the air temperature.

It's just a thought. Don't know if it is your problem. 1099 can go to sleep if it gets cold, likes to be above 64 F. Initial fermentation activity will keep the temperature of the wort high, but once you get to about 50% attenuation, activity slows, and the wort cools.

What temperature are you fermenting at? Do you have a temperature strip on the fermenter below the level of the wort? If it's in a basement, what is the floor temperature, not the air temperature.

It's just a thought. Don't know if it is your problem. 1099 can go to sleep if it gets cold, likes to be above 64 F. Initial fermentation activity will keep the temperature of the wort high, but once you get to about 50% attenuation, activity slows, and the wort cools.

Not entirely sure what the temperature was, as LHBS has been out of temperature strips since I started brewing again. It was approaching 80 in my apartment when I started fermenting, so I was packing frozen water bottles around the fermenter and put a towel around that. Crude, but I'd rather be too low than too high and it was the best I could do.

Unfortunately, this is a bit moot as I have become rather convinced the brew has been compromised with Lacto. This is a bit odd as I think this was one of my most sanitary batches ever, but from what I am reading the very cloudy look and very sour taste is probably the result of bacteria. So I'll probably be dumping :(.

Back