What is wrong with these people?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbors consistently park in front of my house. Even when there are no cars on their side. Right now 2 cars are parked in the front of mine but none in their driveway or on front of theirs. They aren't old beaters or anything but???

What gives??? I don't understand!

In my old house, I had neighbors that did that. I posted a little sign that said: "If you don't live here, please don't park here. Thank you!"

I still got the occasional person parking in front of my house, but my neighbors stopped.

What pisses us off is when they park opposite to the entrance of our driveway. You have to be very careful when backing out. Jack a$$es.

When we had a rental house, there were lots of people living there ( long story) but occasionally my bf would park in front of the neighbor's house (across the street) when all the spaces were full at our house, and the old man got in a screaming argument with him because he wanted to park his bmw in front of the old man's house. It was awesome.

It doesn't sound like you're like the old man though. You should start parking in front of their house.

When we had a rental house, there were lots of people living there ( long story) but occasionally my bf would park in front of the neighbor's house (across the street) when all the spaces were full at our house, and the old man got in a screaming argument with him because he wanted to park his bmw in front of the old man's house. It was awesome.

It doesn't sound like you're like the old man though. You should start parking in front of their house.

You don't know how many times I have been tempted to park in front of their house.

Cousin Eddie sounds good! I wish we had storm drains.

I grew up in Chicago, the place that originated the lawn chair space-saver for the folks who shoveled out the street in front of their house.

Cars that took the spot got snow shoveled onto their car... burying the car if possible, particularly on the driver's side. If feeling particularly vindictive, you can then add hot water to their car to help thaw out some of that snow that seems to have fallen.... in thick shoveled clumps. Or, when I was younger, cars in that spot were shields for snow ball fights. Ain't nothing like seeing some codger come running and shouting at the punk kids having a snowball fight all around his car, launching snow balls at each other...

In nicer weather? Cars parking in front of the house was how I knew it was time to water the lawn... and add chemicals....

Here's a little tip... the harder the pressure on the sprinkler, the more water spots you'll get on the car. So the misting sprinklers are no good, the rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat machine gun ones are good... as are the old school 20-holes in an aluminum tube that sways back and forth kind...

this is the action I would take if it were me
#1 ask them nicely not to park there (if that dosent work)
#2 park in front of their house (if that dosent work)
#3 park in their driveway (if that dosent work)
#4 water your lawn when they do park there like Sir H suggested But I would add a little something like some lawn fertalizer to the hose. I know I would stop parking there
Good luck, Keep it clean and legal. Its not worth going to jail or fixing someone elses stuff over
Cheers
JJ

Ah cut their brake lines!

Just kidding, that would be nuts. I would ask them to stop and if they don't proceed to park in front of your place I would do this. If they do it on a weekend or something, place an ad on craigslist about selling a car. You'll get everyone and their mother over to look at it. I would think this would scare the bejesus out of the neighbor.

Unless you live in a private neighborhood the road in front of your house is just as much theirs as it is yours (and in many private neighborhoods, atleast around here, they don't allow parking on the street). Also, the issue about mowing the grass and their cars being in the way, well, in almost every place in this country there is a public right-of-way that extends a distance in to your yard.

Now, having said those two things I agree that it is very annoying. I use to have the same problem at my old house. It was a pain in the @ss to back out of my driveway on to the street when my neighbors would park infront of my house. They also left huge tire marks in the grass sometimes. I could either be an @sshole and put something up or I could live with it. I figured there were bigger things in life to worry about. Plus I don't want to make enemies out of neighbors. We all have to share this world. :Group Hug Time:

In my old house, I had neighbors that did that. I posted a little sign that said: "If you don't live here, please don't park here. Thank you!"

I still got the occasional person parking in front of my house, but my neighbors stopped.

In most parts of the US streets are owned by "the people" and in the absence of local ordinance that may restrict parking, they can park where they wish as long as they are parked on the street.

...in almost every place in this country there is a public right-of-way that extends a distance in to your yard...
I know what you mean.

We don't have sidewalks on my side of the tracks either...:D

My neighbor to the south is the American Legion...closed 90% of the time. Whenever there's a party going on I grab my "CHEMICALS APPLIED TO THE LAWN. DO NOT ALLOW YOUR PETS TO WALK ON GRASS" signs out of the garage...:rockin:

The AL has like over 100 places to park, but they still come on my property...maybe I should water...hmmmm...

A couple of times people parked and I pointed out the signs and yelled to them that the "chemicals" would get in their vehicles and houses...some moved, some didn't...:mad:

...better yet, invite Cousin Eddie over...

Sh1tter's full!! :rockin:

We have people in our neighborhood who consistently park on the street leaving their driveways empty! I'm guessing that since it costs so much to pave a driveway, this makes it last MUCH longer...

While the street is owned by everyone and there is a right of way that extends into your yard, just because something is perfectly legal doesn't mean that it isn't rude. Especially when they could just as easily park in their own driveway or in front of their house.

We have a guy 2 doors down who blocks the path and parks half on the road half on the path because the road is no parking. It's also illegal to park on the path.
I seriously think he thinks he's only braking half of each law.
The reason he did this is he put gravel on his drive and he doesn't want to mess it up!!!!!!

I hope he gets a ticket before he causes an accident to road traffic or a pedestrian.
I've had to knock on his door before now because an old guy in a wheel chair couldn't get passed.
At least my dog pees up his wheel on our way to the park.
He had the nerve to chase after me and complain. :D

Just start parking in their driveway. That might give 'em the message, but most likely not.

No matter how much you don't like it the street is a public way and any person within your municipality has just as much right to park in front of your house or wherever as long as they are not breaking any traffic laws.

I have had neighbors across the street who didn't like it when I parked in front of their house, but I could not park in front of mine as my side of the street was "No Parking." I clearly explained my position to them and once they thought about it they stopped asking me not to park there, but I could see them harboring some resentment till the day I moved out. I did have to pull out the "you don't own the street card" but they eventually got it.

Sometimes you just have to make due and realize that you don't own the street in front of your house, and in fact in most areas even though your deed says you own your property up to the street, in fact the town owns about the first 4 feet from the curb for utilities and sidewalks and such.

The one solution I can come up with for you is to get a fire hydrant, and put it in your lawn right where they like to park. Granted it won't work in the event of a fire, but they will start to think twice about parking there, and if it really comes down to it they might wind up getting a few hefty tickets.

This is retarded. I imagine they simply like having their car pointed in the proper direction, or that is the way they come home and don't want to have to back the car out into the street when they go somewhere. Otherwise, there is NO good reason for not parkign in their own driveway. (unless they expect a sudden game of horse in their driveway).

I'd NEVER want to park anywhere except in my own driveway. Especially out in the street!

Nevertheless, as many have pointed out, the street is for public use, and they can park there if they like. We were told not to park on the edge of this guy's property where I work, but within the week, those people were back at it. Turns out they are allowed to park in the right of way even if there are spaces in front of the building (that special person wants to leave room for customers).

No matter how much you don't like it the street is a public way and any person within your municipality has just as much right to park in front of your house or wherever as long as they are not breaking any traffic laws.

That just happens to be where I keep my loose nails

I don't know what this Drunken Ramblings forum is coming to!! Nobody here ever heard of a bloody Molotov Cocktail!!?? (Well, I call them petrol bombs)

It's an easy solution! Smash their car window with a brick, throw in the petrol bomb, and as the car explodes in a ball of flame you moon the bastards from the roadside as they run around screaming about the mental neighbour!

When the cops come, all you have to do is stand in a cardboard box in the middle of the road and make a noise like a ripe banana. Trust me, they won't know what to do with you.

Try it tomorrow, you know it makes sense.:)

Back