crazy noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
what if i steep some grains and then after removal of grain bag boiled the steep wort for 15 minutes then chilled it and added it to my keg with my 5 gallons of brew that has already fermented out?

would adding the mini steeped wort separate cause problems?

Wow, that's a wild question. I guess you run the risk of introducing bacteria, but not much of you move fast. Are you going to add more yeast and ferment it again?

S

Wow, that's a wild question. I guess you run the risk of introducing bacteria, but not much of you move fast. Are you going to add more yeast and ferment it again?

S

well i tasted it and it was alright but i thought man i wish i had added some specialty grains for body and a little bit of sweetness. so that is when the idea came to my head. i figure if i at least boil the steeped wort for 15 minutes all bacteria should be killed. then if i cover, ice bath and upon reaching 68-70 siphon in keg then top off with the 5 gallon batch i would be ok.

crazy i know but what are the risks. batch would be 5% alcohol. water is already boiled in steep wort. upon siphoning wort into keg and siphoning 5 gallon batch would be force carbonated and kept in 35 degree frig.

there are always risks but how high are mine by doing this ya figure?

The idea has merit if your beer is too bitter, but I would also like to know the motivations behind this!

taste was to thin. thought if i added some grains wort may add a little body to it.

now i am VERY new and still am getting my taste buds use to analyzing flat beer so this is just an idea of adding something to my already fermented batch.

I understand it. Personally I would reccomend splitting the batch up if you can so if your experiment doesn't turn out great you can still compare it to the untouched control batch.

I am all for the idea since I think experimentation is the fuel to homebrewing.

I think you want to make sure it is boiled for 15-20 minutes to remove all the oxygen. I am not sure about this because I know the yeast will need 02 to work, but introducing the oxygen into fermented wort would be the issue.

You may also want to account for the bitterness being diluted and add some high AAU hops to the little boil.

Carapils is a good canditate for this since it adds some nice body and not much in terms of fermentability.

Let us know how you choose to proceed!

taste was to thin. thought if i added some grains wort may add a little body to it.

now i am VERY new and still am getting my taste buds use to analyzing flat beer so this is just an idea of adding something to my already fermented batch.

I guess my thoughts are that if it tastes "too thin" now, adding water along with some "grain juice" will only thin the beer some more. I mean, you're not adding fermentables really, and you're adding water. That seems like it would just be even more watery.

You could try some maltodextrine. I don't use it in beer, but I've used it in rootbeer. It's definitely a body builder. One time, my son used too much MD, and he made root beer jell-o. Which is not nearly as good as it sounds. :drunk:

I'm not sure of the "dosage", but we can look at some recipes that have MD in them and see how much you'd need for 5 gallons (or however much you have in the keg).

Are you saying it is too thin before it's carbonated? Uncarbonated beer is thin and watery. This goes away with carbonation.

If it is already carbonated, add a couple ounces of malto dextrin, boiled up and cooled.

Are you saying it is too thin before it's carbonated? Uncarbonated beer is thin and watery. This goes away with carbonation.

If it is already carbonated, add a couple ounces of malto dextrin, boiled up and cooled.

it's probably cause it's not carb and i haven't learned yet how to use my taste buds, lol.

the dextrin thing is helpful. i will have to remeber that in case i need to tweak a weak batch.

Jimmy, I strongly recomend that you leave it alone and really evaluate the beer as it ages. Take notes, research what you like and dont like, and make another batch with those considerations in mind.

A better second batch will be so much more rewarding than wondering if you have properly "fixed" this batch.

I speak from experience! Cheers!

Back