Changing Bottles for Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewest

Reaction score
Has any ever had to move their beer into different bottles for a homebrew competition?

I brewed a beer that I think is pretty solid, but I only put it in 22 oz bottles. The competition I want to enter it into only accepts 10-14 oz bottles.

If I transfer my beer into smaller bottles, should I reprime? what else should I worry about?

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, I can't think of a good way to transfer to smaller bottles without the risk of major oxidation and carbonation loss. You might just forego this comp and learn to bottle at least 6 in 12oz bottles next time.

If you ask very nicely, the competition might let you enter the 22 oz bottle. Could be a long shot but it never hurts to ask.

When you enter a contest, you want to be entering the beer in the best state possible. There's really no easy way to move beer from one bottle to another that wouldn't perhaps risk oxydation.

Double check the rules, most contests I've entered includes 22's in the entry size.

And if not.....Don't enter this one....There will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try something like this before submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size."

Talk about cutting corners. ;)

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

There will be plenty more in your brewing career. :mug:

Thanks, for some reason I hadn't even thought about the oxygen problem, just carbonation.
That's why I came to you guys.

A little background, I was told by a group of certified beer judges that I had a prizewining bock on my hands. As winter just ended, it will be a while before the temperature will permit a good lagering. I was looking forward to seeing how the beer would do in a big competition, so I wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem before.

Ultimately though, It sounds like noone's done it before. I suppose I can just do it, and test out the tranfer after a week. If it's bad, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks, for some reason I hadn't even thought about the oxygen problem, just carbonation.
That's why I came to you guys.

A little background, I was told by a group of certified beer judges that I had a prizewining bock on my hands. As winter just ended, it will be a while before the temperature will permit a good lagering. I was looking forward to seeing how the beer would do in a big competition, so I wanted to know if anyone else ran into this problem before.

Ultimately though, It sounds like noone's done it before. I suppose I can just do it, and test out the tranfer after a week. If it's bad, I'll let you guys know.

Or, find a contest that allows 22 ouncers to be entered. Yours is the first contest I've come upon that allows pints but not bombers. In fact this one, that I'm entering this weeks has the opposite size stipulation, a minimum size.

Each entry must consist of two bottles of at least ten ounces from the same batch, which have no labels or identifying marks. Caps with any markings must be blackened with a marker. Commercially available bottles from widely distributed beers are acceptable. Unique bottles will be allowed only at the discretion of the Competition Director.

Here's the AHA contest calendar. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/aha-bjcp-sanctioned-competition/calendar

No one has done it because we all know it's a bad idea. If you are so determined to do it, test it out on some swill commercial brew first instead of your soon to be award winning brew (that is unless you try to rebottle, then it won't be award winning).

Back