Hops for Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
What are some good hops for a Hefe? Also, I am looking to make it with a floral aroma/taste with a hint of bannana clove. (hopefully that makes sense)

Would the best way to get the bannanna clove flavor be by fermenting at a higher temp, say 68-72?

My Weihensrephaner Heffe recipe calls for 1oz German Hallertau Horsbruker hops for 60min.

Along with Wyeast 3068 at 70degrees it gets all of the charactoristics you are looking for.

Don't follow any recipe for a Yazoo clone hefe. I tried theirs once, and dubbed it "Bananna Beer"

Use any German or "noble" hop. Hallertau is the hop you will see most in hefes. You don't get banana/clove from the hops. Really, you don't really want any hop aroma or flavor in a hefe. Too much hops make them taste weird.

To get a balanced flavor, ferment a little cooler than "regular" ale temps. 62-68 ish would give you a good flavor profile. Really its about controlling the esters. Hefe yeast just happen to give off banana flavored esters. So use common ale fermenting sense and you should be fine.

No need for vienna. If you are doing extract, wheat extract is probably all you will need. Most wheat extract is a mix of 2 row and wheat malt.

Would vienna be ok to steep, or do you have any other good ideas for grain to steep?

Vienna should be mashed. You don't really need to steep any grains for a hefe but some carapils for body/head retention and flaked wheat for haze could be beneficial.

i did 2 oz hallertau (1 at boil, .5 at 30, .5 at 15). that was probably a bit much. its in primary now, so we'll see how that works out. im a little nervous it was overkill for a hefe, but i like a lot of hops flavor...

I'm banking on the 4 lbs of raspberries to even out with the hops and coriander when I add it to the secondary this weekend. Crossing my fingers.

I'm banking on the 4 lbs of raspberries to even out with the hops and coriander when I add it to the secondary this weekend. Crossing my fingers.

You didn't use to many hops for a hefe, because that's not a hefe. That would be more of a specialty ale, maybe a raspberry wit or something like that. Sounds tasty though. Let us know how it turns out.

Tettnanger, Hallertau, Saaz, Spalt are your traditional hops.

Mt. Hood, Fuggle, Crystal, and a few others work well, too.

Low-mid level alpha acid hops generally take about 0.75 ounces @ 60 minutes to bring you within the proper IBU range (I usually shoot for 10-12 IBUs.)

I often finish with 0.5 ounces of saaz (at 5 min) to smooth out the flavor and I recently tried FWH with my roggenbier. Next up is FWH with a hefeweizen :)

Back