Ok to lager under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I've got 10 gallons of a beautiful double decoction Urquell clone 100 doing its thing in the fermenter right now. I want to lager in corney kegs. I'll need to pressurize the kegs at least a little bit to ensure a seal. How much pressure is too much? Is it ok to lager while under 2.3v of co2 pressure? Is it ok to lager under pressure generally?

Thanks.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439764384.281839.jpg

Larger breweries do lagers under pressure since it allows them to maintain a clean profile with warmer temps--among other benefits.

I ferment under pressure exclusively.

I read a lot into it before I did my first lager a few weeks ago. Looks like it's fine. I hit mine with 12.5 psi and just finished my gradual drop down for 33 degrees. Everything I've read said your first few pints will be cruddy, then you're good to go. Laggering is just cold storage. Pressure doesn't matter.

Im a hop head but I can't think of a much better beer than a fresh urquell. It really is divine.

Yes, you can lager in the leg.

Back