Looking For Tips And Suggestions On Filtering Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you noticed any change in flavor by filtering?

So far no, but I've only tapped into one of my 3 beers I've filtered and it was the 5 micron filter which let some yeast through. I've heard that filtering down below .5 micron can strip flavor but also heard that can be compensated by recipe formulation.

So far no, but I've only tapped into one of my 3 beers I've filtered and it was the 5 micron filter which let some yeast through. I've heard that filtering down below .5 micron can strip flavor but also heard that can be compensated by recipe formulation.

Ok, I have a 1 micron filter I just haven't used yet as I've read it'll strip flavors. Guess I'll just have to try it and see! Thanks.

Ok, I have a 1 micron filter I just haven't used yet as I've read it'll strip flavors. Guess I'll just have to try it and see! Thanks.

If you suspect this, I'd run half through the filter, remove the filter, then push the second half through the exact same way. One variable changed, triangle test with some friends, good way to really know the effect.

Update:
Just finished my first keg that was filtered with a GE Hydrex 1 micron filter. Beer was nice and clear, no sediment in first few pours but when I opened up the keg there was a thin skin of yeast sediment at the bottom. Not as bad as no filter but if I remember the previous keg that was filtered with a 5 micron had less sediment. I guess it's true that all nominal filters aren't alike. I have two more kegs with the same 1 micron filter then I'm trying a .5 Buckeye Hydro nominal filter.

Update:
Just finished my first keg that was filtered with a GE Hydrex 1 micron filter. Beer was nice and clear, no sediment in first few pours but when I opened up the keg there was a thin skin of yeast sediment at the bottom. Not as bad as no filter but if I remember the previous keg that was filtered with a 5 micron had less sediment. I guess it's true that all nominal filters aren't alike. I have two more kegs with the same 1 micron filter then I'm trying a .5 Buckeye Hydro nominal filter.

Please take a bunch of pictures of everything. When this is all done, and you've collected all the info, I'd like you to write an article on your experience here. Please think about it. I'll probably forget, but when you update this thread I'll remember. Thanks. Maybe we can have both you and @Buckeye_Hydro co-author it. He seems to have a lot of good info.

Do you guys filter cold, or at fermentation temps? I'm thinking of racking my next brew to a keg, then pushing it through a filter into another keg, then chilling and carbing it.

Back