Growler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfd622

Reaction score
So I have a question for all on growlers. I've been to several brew pubs where one can purchase growlers of beer. Can I use these as is for bottling (would they hold carbonation and work well for that purpose)? I was wanting to bottle a few beers in large quantity (for an evening where 1 is not enough), and I had these growlers sitting around so the thought came to me. Can I just use the cap I have, or do I need a new one (assuming I can find some replacement ones).

Just curious - no worries. Thanks

Dave

Most growlers, from what I've read/heard, are not designed to hold up to the pressure of carbonation.

But I think there are those around here who have done it.

I've done it with the original caps and its been fine, however on one occasion not no fine. Dont let it discourage though, i think i had growler bombs because of excessive bumping around in the trunk of my car.. check it out GROWLER BOMBS

I've used my big flip top growler and it worked just fine. You just have to make sure the top is sitting perfectly square on the top.

I stuck a portion of my beer in there, to take to our friend's. It was actually ended up being in there for a couple of months. It came out just as good as bottled.

I wouldn't leave it much longer than a couple of months.

The flip top ones might be fine, but the screw cap ones are definitely not. You run into the same problem as screw top bottles, in that the glass is thin around the threads and can lead to the bottles breaking apart.

Latest posts

Back