Do I have to worry about scratching the inside of a dip tube with a line brush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I want to scrub the inside of a dip tube with a 1/4 line brush, but as many of you know, the stem of the brush is made of metal. I'm worried that the inside of the dip tube might become a bit scratched. Not deep, but scratched never the less from the stem of the brush. Is this something I need to worry about?

I've been using 3' long draw brushes and never saw a problem or worried about it. Yes, the metal wire chafes along the sides, but it's quite smooth. I don't think it scratches.

I even use those brushes in racking hoses, the only concern there is the tippy scratching the sides, so make sure the hose is kept straight. I wish they had more bristles along the wire, though.

Also used Barkeepers's Friend to really scour and clean up the insides of dip tubes and stainless racking canes, all with excellent results. There was a lot of goo coming out. I felt a lot better after that.

Back