Official 2008 GABF Denver Oct 9-11 thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know anything about volunteering at GABF? I would kinda like to pour for a session, and I think this gets you into another session for free....

I'm most likely in for the Sat afternoon members session. I'm not an AHA member, but I've been meaning to join for quite some time anyway. Anybody figure out for sure where we are meeting up yet? I'd love to meet some other HBTers from around the country.

im planning on going to the sat. afternoon session and thats it since i have never been to denver before so i want to check it out in the evening.

anyone know if there is a map that details where the different breweries will be located that i can download?

I did not see a map, but from their site: Great American Beer Festival "GABF visitors enjoy one-ounce beer samples from the festival's breweries. These breweries are arranged on the festival floor by regions of the country, giving beer lovers a walking tour of the nation's beer-blessed landscape. Many of the booths are staffed by the brewers themselves. More than 46,000 beer enthusiasts from Colorado, the United States, and around the world will attend this year's GABF. The 2008 GABF will cover 188,000 square feet of the Colorado Convention Center."

This will be my first run at this too

anyone know if there is a map that details where the different breweries will be located that i can download?

They will put out a nice map closer to the event. I went through and highlighted all the 'not to miss' places a couple days ahead of time and planned my route, which totally fell apart when I got drunk and couldn't follow the map...:rockin:

They will put out a nice map closer to the event. I went through and highlighted all the 'not to miss' places a couple days ahead of time and planned my route, which totally fell apart when I got drunk and couldn't follow the map...:rockin:

ahahaha.... :tank:

one of my other friends is going and he already made a list of the breweries that he wants to hit. he is just waiting for the map now too i guess then.

We'll get a meet-up plan together. It's just a bit early.

As for what to do in Denver beer-wise:
Boulder/Denver Beer Map | The Beer Mapping Project

Is it too early to start working out a meet or two? We are a month away.

There are some nice establishments in the downtown area.

I'll throw out Wynkoop or Breckinridge just as a start. Im open to anything but these breweries have a good beer selection and are large enough for a significant group.

Maybe a poll to determine best day and time, but I'd vote for Friday PM as most sound like they will be attending the Saturday Members Session and organizing a gathering AFTER this session could be challenging.

Just thought I would bring the planning to light...

Within walking distance in LODO alone you have Wynkoop, Sandlot, Breckenridge, Denver Chop House and Great Divide. Not to mention the mother of all beer bars, The Falling Rock Taphouse.

Take the 16th Street Mall Bus to the other end and walk to Pints Pub and The Cheeky Monk. (and be sure and pick up some Sabretts and Tamales from the street vendors along the way).

EDIT - and if you all miss driving out to Cherry Creek and hitting The Bull & Bush, I'll be very dissapointed!

...man, I can't believe I won't be there this year. :(

Brewtopia: I'll be using twitter, so hopefully you can follow along.

MNBugeater:
I'll start collecting contact information so that we can organize some meetups.

Everyone that is attending, PM me the following info.
Handle
Real Name
Session
Cell
Can you get text messsages on your phone?

... (and be sure and pick up some Sabretts and Tamales from the street vendors along the way).

...man, I can't believe I won't be there this year. :(

Warning: You need to be VERY intoxicated to think it is a good idea to eat something out of the those coolers they store those things in. They are NASTY. Go to Illegal Petes for the breakfast burrito for good drunk/hungover food.

sorry guys, my friends planned a mountain biking trip to Moab, and while I love GABF and beer, and I would love to meet you all, I have been wanting to go to Moab for years. GABF will come back next year, I may never have another chance to ride/camp with these friends again, as they will all probably move away in the next year... :-(

I'm updating at the top of the page.

Confirmed Attendees
olllllo & SWMBO
Ooompa Loompa
dblvsn
brauhausjoe
MNBugeater
summersolstice & SWMBO
BigKahuna & SWMBO
RichBrewer

The reason for the text message question is that is going to be the easiest way to make a group announcement as to where we are at ant given point.

As an example, I might text everyone:

Group toast at Booth 512, Aisle 2 in 15 minutes.
or
We are all at Wynkoop and will head to Falling Rock after we finish our beers.

We'll try to have a master plan soon and I will give everyone a master list beforehand.

The texting thing has proved to be very effective for beer festivals.

Great idea olllllo!

I'm open to meeting folks when ever. I'll even head down town on a day when I'm not attending the GABF. (Well, so long as I'm not at work!) I've got my ticket for the Saturday afternoon session and my hotel is confirmed for that night.

sorry guys, my friends planned a mountain biking trip to Moab, and while I love GABF and beer, and I would love to meet you all, I have been wanting to go to Moab for years. GABF will come back next year, I may never have another chance to ride/camp with these friends again, as they will all probably move away in the next year... :-(

Just be sure to post tons of pics in trip reports on co4x4 ;)

Any AHA members that haven't ordered tix yet? I have a friend who needs a ticket for the Saturday afternoon session.

When do you need to know by? I ordered an extra ticket just in case my girlfriend or any of my other friends decided they wanted to go. Figured it would be easy enough to sell if nobody took me up on it. I'll probably hold onto it for another week or two, but if nobody is interested by then I'd sell it to ya.

make sure and hit up eddie mcstiffs brew pub and especially moab brewery while you are there. at moab brewery... get the chicken chili verde nachos :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin: best nachos ever and they come with a chedder soup to dip them in.

also there is a fire oven pizza place on the main drag not far from mcstiffs plaza that has an all you can eat pizza deal.

Me and SWMBO totally had plans of going once I found out about it last year (beer snobbery and HBT set in), but alas, this year we will have a 3 month old little boy that we will not be leaving. Next year I am so there though.

I'll be landing 2:40P on Friday. We can do a post dinner meetup for those not going to the Friday Evening session. I'll work on the contact sheet this weekend.

BTW:
Saturday, Oct. 11
12:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Members-Only Session
soldout.jpg

I will be there Thursday night and Saturday after noon, would love to meet anyone from HBT, of course my beer will be there too :D

Warning: You need to be VERY intoxicated to think it is a good idea to eat something out of the those coolers they store those things in. They are NASTY. Go to Illegal Petes for the breakfast burrito for good drunk/hungover food.

Not me!

GABF wouldn't be GABF until I walked the 16th Street Mall and had at least 3 sabretts and a couple of tamales on Thursday morning for breakfast. Denver has a great street food scene. Second only to Boise.

And after drinking all of Wednesday night at the Falling Rock, I always hit Two Fisted Marios at 2:00AM.:mug:

I'll be landing 2:40P on Friday. We can do a post dinner meetup for those not going to the Friday Evening session. I'll work on the contact sheet this weekend.

BTW:
Saturday, Oct. 11
12:30 pm – 4:30 pm
Members-Only Session
soldout.jpg

id possibly down for this...dunno what time though... my cousin is meeting us somewhere so id depends on the timing so i can bring her too.

I just sent out the contact lists.

You guys that are doing the full tour....
brauhausjoe
summersolstice

We'll have to either meet you durung the Sat afternoon session or after any of the evening ones on Friday and Saturday after 10.

dblvsn is also in town for the Thursday session, you might want to look him up.

Thought I had posted here already, but I guess not. I'll be getting in town on wed and leaving on sun. Originally was planning on going to thu and sat afternoon sessions, but might end up going to more.

I've got a pretty full schedule with various friends coming into town and a few that live in the area. So I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but I suspect I'll end up being at the same places at the same time.

Combed the thread and sent a Pm to BakerStreetBeers; Gabe; nickhead; Bokonon.

ColoXJ, I have you down as a scratch.
Glibbidy are you still a longshot?

I'll probably be at the brewers dinner at Wynkoop on wed night and I'll be spending time with friends in the area. I'll probably bring my laptop along, but no telling how often I'll be checking in

Make sure everybody checks out the Pro-Am beers there. Diamond Knot in Mukilteo, WA brewed my Munich Helles and it will be down there. If I'm able this weekend we are going to be driving over and picking up a corney or two of it. I hope it turned out good.

I will be there Thursday also, check out the ProAm table, I have a Foreign Extra Stout in this years comp.:D

Back