Struggling with calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Hi all, I am having a massive senior moment doing my calculations to figure out how much strike water and boil volume for an all grain IPA I am starting. Hoping someone can help me out, I'm dyin' here.

The grain bill is 16.6 lbs german pils, 1.66 victory (18.16 lbs total) and about 3 oz of hops. I want to have it in the mash tun at 150 degrees for an hour then batch sparge. I can't seem to figure out how much water to put in the tun, nor figure out how much to start my boil (110 total minutes) with to achieve a 5 gallon batch.

That sure is a lot of grain for a 5 gallon brew. It should be strong.

Do you not have experience with the boil off rate on your system? If not I would figure on at least 15% an hour.

This is a good mash calculator >> http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
1.25 quarts per pound is a good general volume for mashing.

Also an FYI, I've learned from this site that Pils malt requires 90 min. boil as opposed to the standard 60.

This is the DFH 90 min IPA clone recipe that I found and it requires a ton of grain and a 110 min boil. Thanks for the advice.

Back