No action in primary (PICS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downhill_biker

Reaction score
I haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock in the primary on one of my last 2 batches. I kindof messed up and pitched the yeast strait into the wort without rehydrating or creaming it.

Here is a pic. I think the residue on the sides is from my aeration, and not firmenting, but I could be wrong.

2010-11-18_17-42-08_779.jpg

The brew is a Red Ale, I used dry yeast, it was either Safale S 04 or S 05. I can't remember. I used both that day. I might have had a pitch temp issue too. The digital thermometer I was using when chilling my wort broke, and it ended up getting really cold before I realized it wasn't giving me a good reading. It stuck on 110 degrees, and probably got down to 50 before I noticed...or at least it felt like 50...

The batch was made on Sunday.

I haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock in the primary on one of my last 2 batches. I kindof messed up and pitched the yeast strait into the wort without rehydrating or creaming it.

Here is a pic. I think the residue on the sides is from my aeration, and not firmenting, but I could be wrong.

2010-11-18_17-42-08_779.jpg

The brew is a Red Ale, I used dry yeast, it was either Safale S 04 or S 05. I can't remember. I used both that day. I might have had a pitch temp issue too. The digital thermometer I was using when chilling my wort broke, and it ended up getting really cold before I realized it wasn't giving me a good reading. It stuck on 110 degrees, and probably got down to 50 before I noticed...or at least it felt like 50...

The batch was made on Sunday.

Definitely looks like krausen on the sides of your bucket and yeast boats floating so i'd say there was definitely fermentation happening. Did you take a hydro reading?

I took the hydro on the first day but it got wiped off the white board. I can take another now, but without the other it does me no good. I guess I can take one now and see if it changes over the next few days.

That *looks like* a krausen ring on the bucket's side. Take a gravity reading.

I'd bet the gravity has dropped.

I took the hydro on the first day but it got wiped off the white board. I can take another now, but without the other it does me no good. I guess I can take one now and see if it changes over the next few days.

AG or extract? You could post the recipe and someone could back into the og with some basic assumptions.

The camera was 2' above the bucket. It was my phone. Is this really that dangerous?

IMHO no. And that looks like a healthy krausen ring. I bet your fermentation has finished and it's in clean up phase.

Yeah, definitely looks like it has had some fermentation. You won't know if it's complete or not without a hydrometer though. EDIT: noticed you have one. Take a reading for a few days and see if it drops. Final gravity should be in the range around 1.008-1.016 depending on the recipe. If it's around that, and doesn't drop for three days, you should be good to go.

As far as pitching without rehydrating, I never have, and many people haven't. And your pitching temp probably wouldn't cause much of a problem. The yeast would probably just stay dormant for a while until it rose to the correct temperature for fermentation.

With an at least an estimate of what the OG should have been, and a hydro reading I think we'd be able to tell if something (fermentation) happened. It looks like something's going on.

No hydrometer reading?

It looks done, crap like that usually doesn't stick to the sides during aeration in my experience.

Thanks guys. I can barely read the reading off the white board. I think it says 1.056. I will take another today. Then I will leave it alone.

Yeah it doesnt really matter that much (as far as the topic goes-whether it fermented or not) what the OG was. If your FG is somewhere in the 1.008-1.016 range than you can be sure that it has happened. Like everyone else says this looks like krausen ring and yeast boaties to me too.

I have been staring at your video feed for a half hour and see no sign of an activity. I think it is dead. Please send to me for disposal. I will waive my normal fee.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that you were definitely right. The reason I opened the buckets in the first place was to add 1lb of sugar that I forgot in the original boil. The morning after I made this thread the airlock was making more bubbles. It's definitely working.

I've had a 1.060 beer ferment out in a day and a half when I pitched a single packet of S-04 directly in the wort. And yes, that is definately a krausen ring on the side of the bucket. Just let it sit for another week or two.

Yup, you're good to go! just let 'er set there for another week or so and take another reading.

Back