Used bottling bucket as primary, can I mix priming sugar without racking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
So my first Hefe batch is about ready to bottle. I was/am a newbie and used my bottling bucket as my primary. I've read numerous threads about not needing to rack to secondary, especially with a beer such as this, but can I thoroughly mix the priming sugar without re-racking?

I’m afraid I won't A) mix the sugar adequately B) introduce too much oxygen while mixing C) spigot will suck up too much trub as it's about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the bucket.

If it is safe to mix how long will it take the trub to settle down before bottling?

Yeah you should definitely rack it off to another bucket to bottle. I think just about all your fears are warranted.

You definitely need to rack the beer to another vessel to properly bottle this up and you don't just mix the straight priming sugar into the beer.

Boil up 2 cups of water and add the sugar to dissolve and make a simple syrup, cool and add to second vessel, then rack the beer over it, the swirling action will self mix the sugar into the beer. If you want to you can gently mix with a sanitized spoon.

You can settle your problems by buying a glass carboy (I would go with a 6.5 gallon one) and do your fermentation in that. Then rack from the carboy to the bottling bucket with your priming sugar. This way you can also watch your siphon as you lower it into the carboy to rack your beer into the bottling bucket and make sure you minimize the amount of trub you suck up. Normally, i will stop siphoning the beer when im anywhere from a quarter to a half of gallon above the trub line. Then boil your sugar for about 5 minutes with some water and add that to your bottling bucket before you rack the beer to make sure you have an even mixture. Good luck!!!

People that talk about not needing a secondary are generally not using their bottling bucket as a primary. Just buy another 6.5 gallon bucket. They are only like $16ish.

Make a simple syrup and gently stir into the primary. Cover. Sanitize bottles. By the time you're done with that you should be ready to bottle. All my brews have been done that way with no problems. My next batch, I'll try a bottling bucket and see how much clearer my brew becomes.

You'll have a tough time adding priming sugar in the primary and getting the sugar mixed with the beer without stirring up the yeast sludge at the bottom of your bucket. I'd definitely rack to another vessel to bottle from.

Sounds good everyone!

I actually do have another 6.5g bucket and a couple carboys I've purchased since I did my first batch! I was told by my LHBS to just use my bottling bucket for primary and bottle right from there....but after joining here and hours upon hours of reading I've realized this shop has not provided the best advice on a few things!

I'll boil my priming sugar, add to carboy, rack beer on top, clean out bottling bucket, rack back to there, bottle! Pretty excited to bottle my first batch!!

By the way I can tell you from first hand experience. I siphoned from primary to a container that fits in the fridge so that it could 'cold crash'. On bottling day I took it out and very very gently stirred the syrup in. This kicked up a considerable amount of trub. Putting it back in the fridge for a few hours is fine but then some people have noted I have to worry (or not, and drink beers) about the sugar slowly being eaten up by semi-dormant yeast.

Back