What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called out sick from work because some GI issues that I didn't want to foist on my co-workers, and also because I could. Between checking emails I'm going to keg the IPA I brewed two weeks ago (meh but should improve in the keg) and replace some beer lines, stuff I can do sitting down.

When down to the ferment fridge to ck the airlock. Never get tired of seeing the thing bubble.

i'm about the opposite...i'm sitting here, drinking a beer, thinking if this damn fermenter of cider doesn't STOP bubbling soon, i'm going to run out of drink! :D

Went to the LHBS today and picked up some bottle caps, priming sugar, DME and a grain bag for tomorrow's brew. They also keep a stack of old magazines to give away for free so I ended up with the January 2017 Zymurgy because why not?

Brewed a small 2gal batch of bitters to try WLP038 Manchester ale. Starter had a pretty strong phenolic aroma, hopefully it is toned down some in a real beer.

Bought some oar locks to use as a bracket for my RIMS tube to make it easier to get the air out.

Opened up the gap on the grain mill, much less flour again.

Brewed my part of an experiment today.

A few weeks ago my friend brewed an Octoberfest and today I'm brewing the same recipe with one change. The original called for 1# of corn sugar and I am replacing that with 1# of Sparkling Amber DME. Once it's carbed we'll compare results.

Put yeast starter on the stir plate, safale K97 Kolsch
IMG_20190920_101228.jpg

Today I picked up a mini fridge to use as a fermentation chamber. Been using a Son Of Fermentation Chamber for years and I'm tired of changing out frozen milk jugs.

Kegged 5 gallons of Dead Ringer IPA. Aroma awesome and could have drank it as-is warm and uncarbonated. But decided to put in the kegerator to chill first then carbonate by "set-and-forget" for 2 weeks at 12 psi and 42F. Plenty of other beers to drink first. Ahhhh, pour myself another. Again.

Took a silver medal for my American Brown ale at the Commander Saaz competition in Cocoa Beach, FL. This was the Gordon Strong recipe from Modern Homebrew Recipes. I used Omega Hothead kveik yeast, and fermented in my garage at 95F. I had it kegged and drinking within a freaking week.

Congrats! How did you find out already? Reggie isn’t updated nor is their website. I’m actually in Cocoa for Saaz right now and judged a couple flights today as well as some pre-judging last weekend. The weather has been great!

Got up at 4am to brew up another batch of the House Lager, this time gonna do it cold. Plenty in the pipeline, with three kegged and one in the ferment fridge already, so can afford to let this one go for a few weeks. The other day bought a new garden hose and some connectors to replace the old out-hose for the chiller, no more bailing out the bucket it had to sit in. Later today might finally get to replacing the beer lines I was supposed to do earlier this week, dunno why I'm procrastinating. Oh look, football!

Thanks! I watched the awards ceremony on Facebook [emoji16]
Congrats! How did you find out already? Reggie isn’t updated nor is their website. I’m actually in Cocoa for Saaz right now and judged a couple flights today as well as some pre-judging last weekend. The weather has been great!

Thanks! I watched the awards ceremony on Facebook [emoji16]

Ah, didn’t realize they we’re doing that. I opted out of attending due to the steep price (comparatively, to our Hogtown awards dinner). Only took home a 3rd place for Stone Fruit (cherry) Mead, although there were 21 entries in that category so it feels slightly less shameful.

I originally planned to judge on Friday and Saturday as well as attend the dinner but no way could I justify the cost. I drove up from Pembroke Pines to Gainesville for the Hogtown event, which was a lot of fun. I had an IPA that received a 41 but no medal - tough competition [emoji4]
Ah, didn’t realize they we’re doing that. I opted out of attending due to the steep price (comparatively, to our Hogtown awards dinner). Only took home a 3rd place for Stone Fruit (cherry) Mead, although there were 21 entries in that category so it feels slightly less shameful.

Third place is better than no place.

Cleaned a keg that kicked a cpl days ago, trimmed the gas in dip tube, filled it with sanitizer. Ready to purge it with CO2, and close transfer a Czech Pils to go into the lager fridge this evening.

Bottled a lightly hopped wheat ale made with Sterling hops and Tormodgarden kveik. The sample I tasted was great! Harvested a lot of really clean yeast for drying!

Pitched 1/16th tsp of thick Voss kveik slurry into a 1L starter for pitching into another beer tomorrow + banking/drying the extra. I love smelling the orange and spice aroma from the starter every time I walk through the kitchen where it's spinning away.

Cleaned up the garage workshop table which had about a foot thick layer of crap and miscellaneous tools accumulated over time, did a little bottle counting and cand up short so need to order more. Today gotta lift one fermentor on the table so it can settle til the weekend before racking into a bottling bucket and forth into bottles.

BikerMatt, what bike do you ride?

Well I'm actually at the very moment bikeLESS Matt :D Up until recently my latest bike was a 2004 Benelli Tornado 900 but due to RSI damage to my left wrist, a company to run and two little kids I swapped it to a more family friendly Alfa Romeo GT JTDM earlier this summer. Plans are to get a 690 KTM Duke 4 at some point but not in a hurry with that.

Hooked up my new Kegland 3-tap Kegerator with EVABarrier tubing.
As soon as my Flow Control Ball Dock QDs arrive today I'll be in business!
View attachment 645623
Last night hooked it up with the flow control ball locks and EVA Barrier tubing on the gas side too using stainless gas ball lock QDs too.
Man, the stainless QDs are SOOOOO much nicer than the classic plastic that so oftern sticks and fights you going on or off.
Stainless is definitely the way to go.

Well I'm actually at the very moment bikeLESS Matt :D Up until recently my latest bike was a 2004 Benelli Tornado 900 but due to RSI damage to my left wrist, a company to run and two little kids I swapped it to a more family friendly Alfa Romeo GT JTDM earlier this summer. Plans are to get a 690 KTM Duke 4 at some point but not in a hurry with that.
I rode a HD Super Glide until a GMC SUV pulled out in front of me. 40 MPH in to an immovable object will ruin an otherwise good ride. So I built a backyard brewery and hung up my leathers. I still miss it though.

Back