Bottle vs. kegging... again.. I know!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bball3414

Reaction score
So i have a feeling SWMBO may be getting me a kegging system for my birthday in the first week of feb. and have a few questions..

I have been searching for the answer in the forums, but haven't found anything as specific as to what I am asking...

With beers that call for aging 1-2 months in the bottle. I know this is to carbonate, but also to develop the flavor in the beer.
Is any of that flavor lost by just kegging and drinking after a week instead of aging in the bottle for those months? :confused:
Or, does aging it in a keg do anything?

If i keg a beer and carb it... do i have to leave it on the c02 from there on out? Or, can i take it off the c02 to transport it? If so, do I keep it cold? I would imagine the answer is yes to this...

Thats all i can think of for now... Im sure your answers will pose more questions on my end :cross:

Thanks!

So i have a feeling SWMBO may be getting me a kegging system for my birthday in the first week of feb. and have a few questions..

I have been searching for the answer in the forums, but haven't found anything as specific as to what I am asking...

With beers that call for aging 1-2 months in the bottle. I know this is to carbonate, but also to develop the flavor in the beer.
Is any of that flavor lost by just kegging and drinking after a week instead of aging in the bottle for those months? :confused:
Or, does aging it in a keg do anything?

Aging either in bottle or keg does things. Beer develops flavor or loses some flavor (green taste) with age.

If i keg a beer and carb it... do i have to leave it on the c02 from there on out? Or, can i take it off the c02 to transport it? If so, do I keep it cold? I would imagine the answer is yes to this...

Nope, once it is carbed you can take it off the c02. I store all my kegs this way. Do not need to keep it cold.

Thats all i can think of for now... Im sure your answers will pose more questions on my end :cross:

Thanks!

Keep them coming

-bn

Thanks man!

Apparently i didnt search hard enough when first looking b/c i was able to find some answers too..
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-have-backup-keg-ready-219141/

So i can age in a keg if i prime it. Can keg it warm, but at a higher psi.

Whats your take on 2.5 gal kegs? They seem to be on craigslist in my area a lot more than the normal corny.

I haven't used them personally but it all depends on your batch sizes. I do a lot of 2 gallon batches but just use my 5 gallons to keg in. All depends on what you want to do.

-bn

Latest posts

Back