Whole hops wholly clogged...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
Yeah, I realized as I was adding my 60 min hop plugs that there was going to be an issue moving to the fermenter. Within a minute of opening the valve, it was completely clogged with hops. I grabbed my autosiphon and made slow going of the transfer, but now I'm wondering how to prevent myself from dealing with that again?

I still need to make my dip tube for my kettle, and I've seen some stainless screens affixed to the end on a few kettles. Where the heck would someone find stainless screen and/or where could a brewer just buy something to affix on the end of my dip tube?

I saw one HBS selling a set-up for $25, but that seems wayyyy too high for somethign this small and simple?

Pics appear to be removed on that first link Jess...I use a stainless steel scrub pad similar to these on the end of my dip tube:

stainless-steel-scrub-pads.jpg

I'll be honest and say the first time I used it I was so impressed. My last two brews not so much, but still better than anything I'd tried before. And they are cheap enough that I can purchase new ones every "x" number of batches.

Bazooka T-screen works great for me! I've had almost 1# of hops in there with my last barleywine and had no problems at all draining.

DSCF0156.JPG

Hopstopper
The biggest hop recipe I've done so far has been 10oz of pellets with 4.5oz of plugs in the kettle. No problem when using a pump with CFC.

IMG_1243.jpg

I love the T-Screen, but did you make it or purchase?

Am I being a cheapskate thinking a hunk of copper and stainless screen isn't worth $25?

I've tried the hop bags but it always seem I lose a bit of hoppiness when I do that. I just use the scrubbing pads, works great for me

I've been transferring my hops into primary then racking off them when moving to secondary, has worked well so far. That hop-sack doo-dad looks pretty cool though.

Sputnik:
IMG_7815.JPG

I have a piece of 30/30 SS mesh for making a hop filter, just need to get off my arse and build the farkin' thing.

Latest posts

Back