Adding body after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerHarley

Reaction score
So I brewed up a pale ale and obviously had imbibed a little too much when I designed the recipe. I added way to much 2 row and not enough crystal or other body enhancing malt. FG was 1.006.

So now I have an incredibly bland and light bodied beer that is almost 7 percent. I guess it's my version of Bud Light Platinum. However, that is not what I want.

It's been kegged and carbed. Any ideas?

Brew an excessively high bodied beer and then blend.

It is my understanding (correct me if wrong) that body is related to mouth feel, which to a large degree is created by the mashing temperature. Sounds like you mashed quite low, made lots of fermentable sugars, and thus the low FG. Your beer is probably rather dry too, I bet.

It is my understanding (correct me if wrong) that body is related to mouth feel, which to a large degree is created by the mashing temperature. Sounds like you mashed quite low, made lots of fermentable sugars, and thus the low FG. Your beer is probably rather dry too, I bet.

Yes that is correct. I mashed at 146 (I was shooting for 148). But the problem was also in the recipe, whereas I mistakenly converted a five g recipe into 10 g, but forgot to adjust the rest of the grain bill.

I have added maltodextrine to some of my kegged beers that came out a bit thin. To start I dissolved 1/4-1/2 of a cup in 160 F water and then added this to the kegged beer with good results. Sometimes I would add a second amount if needed. I have also read about people using 3-4 oz of the dextrine to start if that is an easier amount to figure. I had to mix/shake the keg so I waited 2 days before sampling.

I also like the idea of brewing a higher bodied beer and then blend. I only mentioned the malto-dextrine because it is a quicker fix that i have used in the past in case you didn't want to take the timeor have the time to brew another beer.

Back