Drinking macrobrews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worty

Reaction score
How hard is it to drink the big macrobrews after drinking a homebrew?
I drank a bunch of my first homebrew, but switched to miller low life to make sure the guests would have enough of the good stuff. I swear the low life tasted like mushrooms. I had a hard time choking it down. Is the stuff always that bad, or what's going on? I think I'm hooked on homebrew.

Heheheh, this meant that you are a very skilled brewer. I would like to visit you someday and drink one of yours too.

I can still enjoy cheap mass-produced beers, such as Miller High Life.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer drinking my own homebrew, but I can still appreciate "regular" beer.

I've had exactly one BMC in the last four years. That was when I was helping my neighbor rustle some trees last year.

Since I started home brewing I have completely stopped drinking light beer... because I just taste like water. Once one is exposed to imports and good home brew one can never turn back!

Well you are talking about Miller Light. My friends use to drink this crap all the time and I never knew why. Yuck!!! Same as Bud/Bud Light, Coors. Never understood how someone enjoys a beer like that. You know some goof I know actually told me that he thinks Bud Light is one of the best beers out there???!!! Hahahahaha. I mean if I have to go mass market I may buy a Heineken but thats as far as I go.

After having Home/micro most of the time, the taste of BMC does taste like water, but there is really no getting around drinking them. They are the most well known beers and in some places that is all they serve. All in all they are still good tasting beers, they are just a different style of beer. Some people need to get the sand out of their Vagingos and drink up.:tank:

To me it is quality vs quantity. It just depends on the occation. If it's a big party, I buy and drink the swill. If I am having a few guys coming over for cards, darts and bullsh1t, I gravitate towards good quality beer. If it's just the SWMBO and I, nothing but the best.

Money trumps all.

The only thing mass produced crap like Bud, Coors and Miller are good for are Stock, especially in a recession when drinking seems to go up. And with the amounts they produce, we will never run out of water. That being said, I have a few friends who love Natty Ice, talk about really bad stuff.

There is a time and place for commercial American light lagers (which I assume you are alluding to - there are plenty of examples of macrobreweries that make excellent beers in all sorts of styles).

I enjoy them quite a bit after working outside in the hot Florida sun - the light body and heavy carbonation is great for that sort of situation. Occasionally, I will use them as a "bridge" drink between homebrews of different styles, sort of like an inexpensive palate cleaner since the carbonation removes flavors quite well, and they themselves don't really taste like much.

I would still drink BMCs. I think because they're so light and carbonated like some ppl have mentioned that they're quite refreshing on certain occasions. I don't know why people find it so disgusting after drinking homebrew. On that note, I can't remember when I drank BMC because I'm stocked up on my own homebrews :D

Back