Another vanilla bourbon porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have had the vanilla bourbon porter in primary for quite a while and it is time to rack to secondary onto the vanilla beans.. the catch is I have pure vanilla extract rather than beans. Can I just add some vanilla AND THE BOURBON to the secondary and rack onto it, then let it set a week or so and taste. Then add more to taste? I guess my question is , is there a reason the bourbon HAS to be added at bottling?

OK I went ahead and added the vanilla ( 2 oz of pure extract) and the makers mark ( 375 ml.. wife said " I LIKE WHISKEY SO POUR IT ALL IN!") I pulled a small sample just now and gave it a taste and it is honestly fantastic as is. However it could use a touch more vanilla ( wife and I both love vanilla) I have 2 more oz of extract I can put in at bottling, however I am worried that as it sets and ages and conditions, the vanilla will become more and more pronounced. SO if I have a VERY slight taste of vanilla now will it be more pronounced later, or should I get it where I want it NOW.

OK I went ahead and added the vanilla ( 2 oz of pure extract) and the makers mark ( 375 ml.. wife said " I LIKE WHISKEY SO POUR IT ALL IN!") I pulled a small sample just now and gave it a taste and it is honestly fantastic as is. However it could use a touch more vanilla ( wife and I both love vanilla) I have 2 more oz of extract I can put in at bottling, however I am worried that as it sets and ages and conditions, the vanilla will become more and more pronounced. SO if I have a VERY slight taste of vanilla now will it be more pronounced later, or should I get it where I want it NOW.

I've only used vanilla beans in this recipe but in my experience the vanilla faded instead of becoming stronger.

Back