A quick bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espringm

Reaction score
Okay I have a quick question. I have just purchased a 2 stage fermenter starter kit and I am about to start my first brew with an extract kit. I have noticed that the instructions say at the end when you open a beer that there will be dead yeast at the bottom of the bottle and you will need to pour the beer into a glass and leave the dead yeast at the bottom. Is there anyway to filter out the yeast so you can just drink the whole beer straight from the bottle? Sorry for the dumb question but just getting started.

Thanks

Only if you like flat bottled beer. You add priming sugar to the beer just before bottling. This sugar gives the yeast more food to produce the desired level of co2. If you filter the yeast you will get no carbonation. You will get good at poring your beer and keeping the yeast in the bottle.

You can also pour the glass and leave a bout a half inch in the bottle (so that what is in the glass is clear) and then swirl it around and then drink it out of the bottle.... Or just drink from the bottle and not pour it in a glass.... or pour it all into a glass and not worry about how cloudy it looks.... It is really up to you. The "dead" yeast in the bottom will not hurt you.

You can also pour the glass and leave a bout a half inch in the bottle (so that what is in the glass is clear) and then swirl it around and then drink it out of the bottle.... Or just drink from the bottle and not pour it in a glass.... or pour it all into a glass and not worry about how cloudy it looks.... It is really up to you. The "dead" yeast in the bottom will not hurt you.

Most of it is not "dead" its dormant. Yes it will not hurt you but if your not accustom to live yeast in you diet, it can make your digestive system quite "active" much like Activia Yogurt if you get my drift. This is not meant to discourage you just a friendly warning. Besides tens of thousands of hombrewers all have digestive systems have acclimated to the live yeast consumption.

Cheers

when you've acclimated, it's beneficial. it supplies a huge dose of vitamin b complex, so that means all homebrewers are healthy, as we take vitamins regularly :D

Most of it is not "dead" its dormant. Yes it will not hurt you but if your not accustom to live yeast in you diet, it can make your digestive system quite "active" much like Activia Yogurt if you get my drift. This is not meant to discourage you just a friendly warning. Besides tens of thousands of hombrewers all have digestive systems have acclimated to the live yeast consumption.

Cheers

That is why I put dead in quotes. I know it isn't, but the OP mentioned dead.

Its okay to drink an homebrew from the bottle (I prefer in a glass) Yeast is good for you Antioxidant ect. And if you dont shake your beer you wont drink much.

Actually there are plenty of bottled beers sold commercially that are bottle conditioned. Most people simply drink all of it, yeast included. Really other then being full of vitamins it will not hurt you. Even if you are not used to it there is no sugar for it to eat in your intestines and your stomach acid is strong enough to kill any of the yeast.

Many Belgian beers are like this. People who drink them simply swirl the yeast at the end and drink it too. Or you can decant it and leave the bottom 1/4". Really it is up to you.

You could get some of those sediment extractors, and then when you have tried them, report back to me and tell me how it went.

And better yet, let me know if you find a north american distributor.

http://www.youtube.com/v/B2PPBmJZFd0&hl=en_US

WOW, I watched the whole video and it looks like a PIA to me. It is just something else to wash and sanitize. It looks like a good reason to pour careful or start kegging. IMHO

WOW, I watched the whole video and it looks like a PIA to me. It is just something else to wash and sanitize. It looks like a good reason to pour careful or start kegging. IMHO

You're a better person than I am. I couldn't make it through more than 2 mins. Learn to pour or keg. My $0.02.

Okay thanks everyone. I have no problem pouring it I was just curious. This leads me to another question, obviously microbrews that sell commercially do not have this problem. How do they avoid it?

Okay thanks everyone. I have no problem pouring it I was just curious. This leads me to another question, obviously microbrews that sell commercially do not have this problem. How do they avoid it?

Breweries that bottle condition their brews can't avoid yeast sediment any more than us home brewers. When I pick up commercially made beer that was bottle conditioned I pour it into a pint glass in the same manner as any other homebrew that's bottled.

Most micro- and pro-brewers filter the yeast out of the beer and then force carb the beer with CO2 (much like we homebrewers do when we keg--although some filter, some don't).

Other micro- and pro-brewers bottle condition their beer, but what they do is they filter out all the yeast, then mix just enough yeast back in along with the priming sugar (most likely wort) before bottling. This leaves a much smaller sediment cause it's an exact cell count in each batch. Just enough.

Aside, it was interesting to me that a lot of breweries that do that also use a generic yeast strain to carb (as in NOT the strain that the beer was fermented with) cause their yeasts are proprietary. heh SN doesn't though. Same yeast. You can steal it. :)

Didn't know this... very interesting. Thanks for the info!
Yeah man, no problem. Jamil mentioned it on a Brewstrong episode. They also mentioned how SN doesn't play keepaway from the consumer with their "real" yeast strain. So if you want to make an agar plate, you can harvest SN's yeast straight outta the bottle, grow it up, and brew with it.

Back