wort chiller- 3/8 OD or 1/2 OD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
I did a search. Honest! But I keep finding conflicting information. For 5-gallon batches of beer, the most available length is 20 ft. at H.D., Lowes, etc. So...3/8 with only a 1/4 ID? Or 1/2 OD with 3/8 ID? What if I want to try and make the "rib cage" style?

Thanks!

I used 50' of 3/8". Chills my 5 gal full boils to pitching temp in no time. Should work decently if I ever step up to 10 gal batches.

What is the "rib cage" style?

Jason

It is 3/8 OD which makes it about 5/16 ID. The ribcage design is interesting but looks like a PITA to bend. I just kept it simple and bent mine around a 5 gal bucket. Didn't get fancy with braze on or compression fittings.....just clamped some 3/8 ID hi-temp vinyl tubing to the in/out and attached garden hose fittings.

Let us know what you end up with. Happy brewing!

Jason

i went with 3/8 but might regret it. HD or Lowes doesn't carry anything that lets you easily solder on fittings for a garden hose connection, you have to use the vinyl tubing.

3/8 is perfect and you won't regret it. I built a 40 footer out of 3/8 from home depot and it chills 5 gallons to pitching temp in 15 minutes.

I believe 3/8 already flows more water than the copper can carry away heat. In other words, 1/2 won't work better but may use more water.

Latest posts

Back