Headroom in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludovico

Reaction score
I've done searches on this topic but seem to be encountering conflicting information, so hopefully you guys can shed some light. I don't normally use a secondary unless I am adding additional elements to a beer (dryhopping, fruit etc), but I am wondering what effect my vessel is having on the beer. I've been using a large plastic wine fermenter with a lot of headroom (the container holds 2-3x the volume I'm filling it with). Now I understand that a layer of C02 will form in the primary to prevent oxygen contact, but that this shouldn't be the case in a secondary. How important is lack of headroom in a secondary?

That's a good question. I had always read that you wanted the smallest amount of head space possible, to prevent o2 contact. Yet, if you watch the video I link below, you will see Sam Adam's Jim Koch making home brew and in segments 8 & 9, you will see that he has a huge amount of head space. If it works ok for Jim, I see no reason to sweat it personally. :) As for me, I try to get the least amount of head space possible (aka more beer) in my secondary cause that just means more beer in the keg when I keg it all. :)

http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/PatriotHomebrew/video.aspx

I use secondaries and haven't found it to be an issue. As long as you have an air lock you are good to go.

HMM I would like an answer on this also as I am in the process of working out a trade .. 6- 6.5 gallon carboys for 6- 5 gallon ones to use for secondaries.

Back