Head and or Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFace

Reaction score
Check this out, I made this beer.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/kinda-new-brew-385259/

So now it's ready(I think). I added sugar then bottled it. It's been in the bottles for 2 weeks now. This is what it looks like.

I only put 2 in the fridge for testing.
My question is this, I think the head is lacking. I was wondering if I let them sit longer, give the yeast more time to eat, will the foam head increase at all?

Do you think this beer looks good? It does taste pretty good, I just want more foam.

Cheers
BrewFace

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the glass upright earlier to get a more vigorous pour. The following is from the Beer Advocate site:

1. Use a clean glass. A dirty glass, containing oils, dirt or residuals from a previous beer, may inhibit head creation and flavours.
  2. Hold your glass at a 45° angle.
  3. Pour the beer, targeting the middle of the slope of the glass. Don't be afraid to pour hard or add some air between the bottle and glass.
  4. At the half-way point bring the glass at a 90° angle and continue to pour in the middle of the glass. This will induce the perfect foam head. You may also want to gradually add distance between the bottle and glass as you pour, to also inspire a good head. An ideal head should be 1" to 1-1/2".

This!

I actually do a complete upright pour...I just "hook" the rim of the bottle to the rim of the glass and pour very slowly, usually get a larger head but I like it and it leads to better lacing IMO

Turn the glass upright earlier to get a more vigorous pour. The following is from the Beer Advocate site:

1. Use a clean glass. A dirty glass, containing oils, dirt or residuals from a previous beer, may inhibit head creation and flavours.
  2. Hold your glass at a 45° angle.
  3. Pour the beer, targeting the middle of the slope of the glass. Don't be afraid to pour hard or add some air between the bottle and glass.
  4. At the half-way point bring the glass at a 90° angle and continue to pour in the middle of the glass. This will induce the perfect foam head. You may also want to gradually add distance between the bottle and glass as you pour, to also inspire a good head. An ideal head should be 1" to 1-1/2".

Awesome, thanks for the responses.
I put a few more in the fridge this morning, I'll check them out tonight.
If all goes good, I'll put the rest in the fridge too.

Cheers
BrewFace

Awesome, thanks for the responses.
I put a few more in the fridge this morning, I'll check them out tonight.
If all goes good, I'll put the rest in the fridge too.

Cheers
BrewFace

If you give it another 1-2 weeks at 70*F and then put a few in the fridge for 3 days or more, I bet you'll see an improvement.

I've been drinking them...............I had 6 tonight so far.....................They seem to get better every time..............As in this each one's better than the last...........................LOL

Cheers
BrewFace

Back