Pets and alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Ok.

This came up because I saw some youtube video of a cat drinking
Chimay.

Cat drinking Chimay? What good taste!

No matter how cute you think it is, please don't give your pets alcohol.
It is toxic to them. Especially cats. Small amounts of alcohol can cause
respiratory distress, coma, death and other cute things. Cats can not
metabolize alcohol like we can.

Take care of your pets.

When my dog wants a taste of something I'm drinking I just dip my finger in it and let her lick a few drops off of it. Oh well, maybe in her next life.

I will go ahead and correct this right now.

Yes, alcohol can be dangerous to your pet, but it is not due to any more toxic effects than alcohol has on your body. Ethanol is metabolized by both cats and dogs through the alcohol dehydrogenase pathway just as it is in humans. In fact this pathway and treatment with ethanol is used for treatment of some toxicities when other drugs are not available (compound 1080, ethylene glycol, etc.)

All poisoning problems boil down to the amount (dosage) of alcohol ingested compared to weight. Remember, your pet can be as small as 1/20th your size (or smaller), so what equates to one beer to you can be as little as 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce to your pet.

So yes, please by all means don't go pouring a bottle of Chimay out for your kitten, no more than you would hand your two year old a bottle of everclear, but to say alcohol is toxic because your pet can not metabolize it is untrue.

So yes, please by all means don't go pouring a bottle of Chimay out for your kitten, no more than you would hand your two year old a bottle of everclear, but to say alcohol is toxic because your pet can not metabolize it is untrue.

Thats too bad. If I had thought this 10 years ago I would have had the wife's cat tanked up half the time!

My dog loves beer. I usually pour a little on the deck for her to lap up and she loves it. Then again she also loves horse puckeys, sniffing strange crotches, dead bugs etc. etc.

Regards,
Al

Yes, alcohol can be dangerous to your pet, but it is not due to any more toxic effects than alcohol has on your body. Ethanol is metabolized by both cats and dogs through the alcohol dehydrogenase pathway just as it is in humans. In fact this pathway and treatment with ethanol is used for treatment of some toxicities when other drugs are not available (compound 1080, ethylene glycol, etc.)

I was confused as well. Alcohol dehydrogenase is important for all herbivores and omnivores. Mammals have evolved to have this enzyme ready so that when wondering around we can eat any fruit and not have to worry about dying from ethanol poisoning if the fruit is a bit old and fermented. Humans take advantage of the fact that we do not have enough alcohol dehydrogenase to quickly clear the amount of ethanol we drink in a beer, thus we fell the intoxicating effects.

Hmmmm. What about bong hits? Do they like bong hits? I'd bet my dogs would like bong hits if I had a bong.

Booooonnnnnnnnnnggggg.

Ok re-read my post...

I didn't say they CAN'T process alcohol. I said they can't process
it like we can. And I consulted over a dozen websites and 2 books
before posting that.

Cats are not efficient at processing alcohol, and this can lead to
death or injury because of the tiny amount required to damage
their bodies and the individual differences animal to animal.

That's all.

Personally, I'm not going to worry about a little bit of beer harming something that licks it's own balls and considers @$$ sniffing a form of greeting.

But that's just me.

I can't help but laugh when I remember a story my good friend was telling at the lake last year. He was explaining how he got a black eye the week before and he started the story out by saying "my dog's a mean drunk." I've seen that pitbull down a few PBRs and he begs for more. I'm not saying it's right, but I know for a fact that dog can drink beer with minimal consequences other than intoxication....

I've also known a black lab (again not mine) that loved whiskey. My dogs aren't so lucky, I'll splash a little beer on the concrete for them, but that's about all they get. That's mainly because I don't want to waste my beer on the dogs.

I am not sure about cats and alcohol but dogs should not have hops. I can not remember what organ it hurts, but it is bad. I am not sure how much hops is too much for a dog but i make sure to keep my spent hops away from the dog. And i learned long ago that both my dogs hate beer.

**edit**
I see someone did me one better and provided a link about dogs and hops.

In the typical quantities found in beer; are the hop compounds that we extract a problem for dogs? I've heard that consuming whole hops is bad for dogs but that's a LONG, LONG way from the tiny bit of hop compounds found in beer being a problem. We only extract a small amount of the hop compounds...most are insoluble or volatile enough to boil off right? I dunno...I'm seriously asking.

My dog always eats any spent grain I happen to drop or spill and always laps up wort. He'll drink a good brew...but if someone spills BMC he takes a sniff and then hikes his leg.:D

I was confused as well. Alcohol dehydrogenase is important for all herbivores and omnivores. Mammals have evolved to have this enzyme ready so that when wondering around we can eat any fruit and not have to worry about dying from ethanol poisoning if the fruit is a bit old and fermented. Humans take advantage of the fact that we do not have enough alcohol dehydrogenase to quickly clear the amount of ethanol we drink in a beer, thus we fell the intoxicating effects.
The enzyme Alcohol Dehydrogenase breaks down alcohol into less toxic compounds that are eliminated from the body. This works great for ethanol.

However, when ethylene glycol (Antifreeze) is ingested, the body tries to detoxify it by using Alcohol Dehydrogenase. Unfortunately, this leads to an increase in toxic compounds (the opposite of what happens with ethanol). Antifreeze, by its self is not very toxic. But when it get broken down, it becomes extremely toxic. It turns your brain to mush, your blood to acid, and your kidneys to stone. Once it gets broken down, your cat is as good as dead.

The treatment for antifreeze poisoning is preventing this breakdown. When I have a cat that ate antifreeze, I instruct the owners to buy a bottle of Vodka and bring it in with them. Then, I put the cat in an alcohol-induced coma by giving the vodka in an IV drip. This is very dangerous, but it is the only chance to save the cat.

When the cat gets alcohol, then body stops trying to break down the antifreeze and tries to breakdown the alcohol instead. The antifreeze is then eliminated, unchanged, from the body.

So, now you only have to deal with a comatose cat - which is bad. This is the lesser of 2 evils. Certain death from the antifreeze versus probable death - from alcohol poisoning. If you want any change of an alive cat, that is the only option.

Cats can breakdown alcohol like every other mammal can. But, their small size leads to easier overdosing. This can cause neurologic, intestinal, metabolic, liver, cardiovascular, and low blood sugar.

My dog always eats any spent grain I happen to drop or spill and always laps up wort. He'll drink a good brew...but if someone spills BMC he takes a sniff and then hikes his leg.:D

My dogs love spent grains. Especially my english setter. I'll often dump my mash tun outside the back door, and they'll all come running over and start munching. It's a big treat to them. When I bust out the brew equipment, they all come over and sit and watch.........They get more and more excited, when they see me filling the buckets from the MLT, they start wagging their tails faster and faster, and when I dump the buckets into the boil pot, they start running in circles and going berserk, 'cause they know the next step after I fire up the burner is the dumping of the grains. They eat until they can't move. You can always tell the day after brew day at my place........because the yard is full of giant piles of granola bars.

Hmmmm. What about bong hits? Do they like bong hits? I'd bet my dogs would like bong hits if I had a bong.

Booooonnnnnnnnnnggggg.
DOn't let them eat your pot, they die. But blowing smoke in their ears is one of the best ways of getting your dog stoned....or you can just hot box the room while they are in it with you.....

./...I instruct the owners to buy a bottle of Vodka and bring it in with them....

That is good idea, keeps owners from looking at you funny when they see the bottle of everclear up on the shelf... "No, that is not for self-medication... most of the time..." :D

That is good idea, keeps owners from looking at you funny when they see the bottle of everclear up on the shelf... "No, that is not for self-medication... most of the time..." :D

We used to keep a bottle of Vodka on the shelf. For some reason, it became empty way too fast. Must have been evaporation :p

(just kidding btw).

Ok,

I am so tired of these inane "you will hurt your pet debates" that have always had the simple ineffable non-gray area answer. That is that animals can process relative quantities in the exact same way as humans. That is that hops poisoning in dogs is more freakish and rare than a good performance from <insert hack actor name here>

I have decided to do a very scientific test. I have four cats and two dogs. I will dose my cats in the following manner (using a turkey baster): one: 5 oz distilled water. two: nothing. three: 5 oz everclear alcohol and four: 12 oz beer.

The dogs: 1 oz of hop oil extract to one and the other dog 1 oz of his own poo.

I will post back the results.

Ok,

I am so tired of these inane "you will hurt your pet debates" that have always had the simple ineffable non-gray area answer. That is that animals can process relative quantities in the exact same way as humans. That is that hops poisoning in dogs is more freakish and rare than a good performance from <insert hack actor name here>

I have decided to do a very scientific test. I have four cats and two dogs. I will dose my cats in the following manner (using a turkey baster): one: 5 oz distilled water. two: nothing. three: 5 oz everclear alcohol and four: 12 oz beer.

Only problem 5oz of everclear in a cat is like you drinking 100oz. In other words dead. Similar problem with the beer though with not the same level of over kill. :D

Hey guys, alcohol is toxic. Don't allow your pet to over dose.

Craig

I don't share homebrew with my dog because he does not rinse and return the bottles.

Ok,

To be completely scientific, you'll have to give one of the dogs a tasty piece of cat **** rolled in kitty litter.

Which begs the question.....how can anyone actually think an animal that will happily consume a lb of crispy kitty roca delights..........could possibly be harmed by hops?

Jeez, my dogs have been carrying around elk legs since november.....these are regulary burried, then joyfully "discovered" and knawed on several times a day. They eat 15lbs a week of spent grains, fight over whole chicken bones tossed out the back door, have completely rendered and consumed 2 skunks, a raccoon, and 4 cats in the past 6 months, and two of them have been bit by rattlesnakes. And people think I worry about them licking beer off the floor?

The last two BB kits I've bought have had a note on the directions stating that hops or even spent hops can cause hyperthermia and death in canines. They're looking out for your pets!

Ok,

Oh god!! There might some validity to these rumors after all. Oh the horror!

There's puke everywhere. The cats that didn't get spiked ate some and now they are puking too. Someone knocked over the bottle of everclear (might have been me since I decided to inject myself into this experiment) and one of the dogs started cleaning it up. Luckily there's no hops in it so he's doing okay but I am concerned because some of the polyurethane on the floor came up with the booze.

My wife is going to be pissed. These are her cats. I am pissed because I spent days refinishing those floors just this past year.

Does anyone know how to get blood off of leather?

One of the dogs is shivering uncontrollably now. What's that mean? I forget whether or not he is the one who got the hops.

I repeat. Oh, the Horror!

The last two BB kits I've bought have had a note on the directions stating that hops or even spent hops can cause hyperthermia and death in canines. They're looking out for your pets!

There was also millions of dollars spent on putting warning stickers on every gas pump in the country saying that using your cell phone while pumping gas could cause an explosion even though the original "news" article which started the scare was found to be a prank and there has never been a proven example of an explosion by cell phone.

Jeez, my dogs have been carrying around elk legs since november.....these are regulary burried, then joyfully "discovered" and knawed on several times a day. They eat 15lbs a week of spent grains, fight over whole chicken bones tossed out the back door, have completely rendered and consumed 2 skunks, a raccoon, and 4 cats in the past 6 months, and two of them have been bit by rattlesnakes. And people think I worry about them licking beer off the floor?
I've eaten a salad at least once a week since I was a kid. No way could anything happen to me just from touching some stupid poison oak. Pshhh.

Ok,

First thing - neither dogs nor cats are small humans. It is not just about body size. They are different animals. Feeding grapes or raisins to dogs and cats has been proven to cause death by kidney failure. Yet, those are healthy for humans. Garlic and onions can cause damage to the red blood cells in cats especially.

Now, for the Hops question, here are 2 links for you. The first link is a summary from an article in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The second link is from a Pet Poison Hotline - a reliable internet information on animal poisons. It reviews that article and discusses it.

Malignant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ...[J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1997] - PubMed Result

Reminder of a potential animal toxicity associated with making beer - - Article Reviews | Pet Poison Helpline

First thing - neither dogs nor cats are small humans. It is not just about body size. They are different animals. Feeding grapes or raisins to dogs and cats has been proven to cause death by kidney failure. Yet, those are healthy for humans. Garlic and onions can cause damage to the red blood cells in cats especially.

Now, for the Hops question, here are 2 links for you. The first link is a summary from an article in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The second link is from a Pet Poison Hotline - a reliable internet information on animal poisons. It reviews that article and discusses it.

Malignant hyperthermia-like reaction secondary to ...[J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1997] - PubMed Result

Reminder of a potential animal toxicity associated with making beer - - Article Reviews | Pet Poison Helpline

Here is my take on the whole "hops and dogs" debate: I have done a lot of reading, as well as talked to several veterinary toxicologists on this matter, and the ones who knew anything about it did not seem that distressed about it. There have been a handful of reported cases, a single published case study, and no real research into the subject. Pretty much, the best guess right now is that hops may be one of the triggers that can induce malignant hyperthermia or "Canine Stress Syndrome" (CSS) in some dogs that are genetically predisposed. There are a few known triggers out there for CSS, including some anesthetics and muscle relaxants that are commonly used in veterinary medicine.

Bottom line, yes it COULD happen, so don't go leaving hops around for Fido to get into, but you COULD also get hit by a bus next time you cross the street. If you are super worried about your pet, you can talk to your veterinarian about looking into the testing to see if your dog carries the genetic predisposition to CSS.

Kinda off topic, reim0027 - I have heard that University of Illinois is looking into using cyproheptadine instead of dantrolene for treatment of these MH cases, since more vets have cypro in their pharmacy and dantrolene is expensive. I dont have any more details than that, or why it works/think it works (I am assuming because it supposedly has some calcium channel blocking properties, but I was not sure that mechanism was confirmed for cypro... ) Just an FYI and something to keep an ear out for...

How do you get a dog to eat hops? There bitter as hell, I have not had a dog that wouldnt lick one let alone eat it. He sniffs my hop plants an runs the other way looking for a rotted deer carcus to naw on instead.

I think its unlikely they could get enough hops from beer, but I'll bet there's plenty of toxin in hop oil.

I agree with Keith above, my dogs won't touch anything too hoppy. The reason I posted the hop/dog poison link is mainly for people who grow hops. Lots of dogs will consume nearly any kind of vegetation and some pet owners endeavor to keep toxic plants out of the backyard. So fence the hops off if the dog is a grazer. If they weren't fenced, the dogs would pee on my hops.

Back