Diseased Hop Plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
My four cascade plants were all around 18 feet tall and full of cones. One of the four consisted of 2 main bines and around the 7 ft point I noticed both of them had what looked to be a split or crack in the main bine stalks. They were oozing a very sticky liquid that smelled horrible. My best description for the odor is ''monkey ass''. I've never smelled anything like it.

Anyway, one of the 2 bines started getting brown cones so I stripped the plant off the rope completely and a few days later the same thing happened to the other cones. I stripped that plant to the ground too to avoid possible spreading of this to the other healthy plants which are doing fine a week later.

Anybody ever had this problem or can any offer an explanation or advice to avoid this in the future?

never having had a chance to go to the zoo, i don't know what monkey ass smells like but i'm sure it's probably similar to other varieties of asses. honestly, i've had cracked/split bines before but it was usually during periods of intense rainfall and i attributed the problem to too much water. your problem sounds a little different. check out this link and maybe you can see something similar to your ailment: http://www.usahops.org/userfiles/file/Research Reports & Presentations/HopPocketGuideFINAL[1].pdf . hop on!

Back